From: Henri Cloetens <henri.cloetens@blueice.be>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: When will gcc assign local variables to registers?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 07:54:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Sir,

What do you want to do ?.

- Gcc, especially when the optimizers are turned on, heavily optimizes
the source code.
   If you want to reverse-engineer, in order to recognize the C-source
in the assembly,
   some suggestions:
1. Turn on the debug option. Then, GCC annotates the assembly
introducing info as to which
     assembly statement belongs to which source line. It may not work
with the optimizer on.
2. Run the compiler with -fdump-all. Then, it outputs a lot of verbose
files, documenting how
     the compile and optimizations have been done. It includes all the
restructuring, and also
     the register allocation. Now, good luck with that, it are long and
difficult to read files.

Best Regards,

Henri.