* Can I build gcc so -Wall option is always on ?
@ 2009-12-24 16:42 Dr. David Kirkby
From: Dr. David Kirkby @ 2009-12-24 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm helping on the Sage maths project

http://www.sagemath.org/

where there are a large number of packages built, most of which ignore CFLAGS.
(Quite a few ignore CC and CXX too!) I'd like to display all the warnings, but
its hard when people overwrite CFLAGS.

Is there a way I can build gcc such that effectively "-Wall" is enabled all the
time?

If not, could anyone point me to where in the source code I might be able to
hack it, to build a version which displays all the warnings?

I think it would actually be quite a useful option to have when one configures gcc!

i.e

configure --prefix=/some/dir --always-display-all-warnings !!!

Dave

* Re: Can I build gcc so -Wall option is always on ?
@ 2009-12-24 17:01 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2009-12-24 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Kirkby; +Cc: gcc-help

> I'm helping on the Sage maths project
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/
>
> where there are a large number of packages built, most of which ignore
> CFLAGS.
> (Quite a few ignore CC and CXX too!) I'd like to display all the warnings,
> but
> its hard when people overwrite CFLAGS.
>
> Is there a way I can build gcc such that effectively "-Wall" is enabled
> all the
> time?
>
> If not, could anyone point me to where in the source code I might be able
> hack it, to build a version which displays all the warnings?
>
> I think it would actually be quite a useful option to have when one
> configures gcc!
>
> i.e
>
> configure --prefix=/some/dir --always-display-all-warnings !!!

That isn't the only option I'd like to enforce. :-)

Merry Christmas David, you were really awesome and helpful this year. I
certainly hope that I can gain access to that HPUX server of yours again
in the new year and finish off GCC 4.3.4 as a reasonable package.  Maybe
now that it is colder you will have a reason to leave it running longer
and generate heat :-)

--
Dennis Clarke
dclarke@opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris