* Re: gcc-4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-02  2:16 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2011-06-02  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

>     My gcc-4.6.0 compilation after compiling for quite some time decided
> break with an error to stderr of something like not recognized object
> files.
> I am compiling with gcc-3.3.6. This can sure be nerve racking. Does anyone
> know what this means?

How would anyone even begin to help with this email content ?

Okay, so let's see, so you're running Debian Linux on a DEC alpha and you
are trying to bootstrap GCC 4.6.0 while using GCC 3.3.6 with binutils
maybe maybe not and your configure line was black magic while facing east
with a dead cat under a rising moon ?

My guess is that you need to face west.

Try again with some content please !

Dennis

* Re: gcc-4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-02  2:29 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2011-06-02  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>>     My gcc-4.6.0 compilation after compiling for quite some time
>>> decided to
>>> break with an error to stderr of something like not recognized object
>>> files.
>>> I am compiling with gcc-3.3.6. This can sure be nerve racking. Does
>>> anyone know what this means?
>>>

>> How would anyone even begin to help with this email content ?
>>
>> Okay, so let's see, so you're running Debian Linux on a DEC alpha and
>> you are trying to bootstrap GCC 4.6.0 while using GCC 3.3.6 with
>> binutils maybe maybe not and your configure line was black magic
>> while facing east with a dead cat under a rising moon ?
>>
>> My guess is that you need to face west.
>>
>> Try again with some content please !
>
>     I didn't get a log of stderr. I wish I had it turned on now. I'm using
> an old RH 9 for the i686 and binutils-2.21 along with gcc-3.3.6. I have
> have
> gmp mpfc and mpc all installed and I am using make-3.82. I was rather
> surprised when it broke. If I try again I will get a stderr log.

Can you just login remotely with an xterm or better yet fire up screen
with session logging and then go to a fresh clean directory. Then let's
try a boot strap again and this time everything gets logged.

wdyt ?

Dennis

* gcc-4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-02  2:11 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-06-02  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

    My gcc-4.6.0 compilation after compiling for quite some time decided to
break with an error to stderr of something like not recognized object files.
I am compiling with gcc-3.3.6. This can sure be nerve racking. Does anyone
know what this means?

Bill