* Problem building gcc
@ 2011-11-30  8:35 gideon425.gb5
From: gideon425.gb5 @ 2011-11-30  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am having problems building gcc 4.6.2

I am using Ubuntu 11.10

Here is the error

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1

To get the error, I just did

../gcc-4.6.2/configure
make

The configure succeeded

The configuration is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

The gcc-4.6.2 directory was unwrapped from a standard gcc-4.6.2.tar

What additional information can I supply to help understand this problem?

----------
This message was sent from a MailNull anti-spam account.  You can get
your free account and take control over your email by visiting the
following URL.

   http://mailnull.com/

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2011-11-30  8:58 ` Marc Glisse
From: Marc Glisse @ 2011-11-30  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gideon425.gb5; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, gideon425.gb5@mailnull.com wrote:

> I am having problems building gcc 4.6.2
>
> I am using Ubuntu 11.10
>
> Here is the error
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory

Here is the solution:
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

> What additional information can I supply to help understand this problem?

Problem understood, gcc doesn't currently support debian and the
derivative distributions like ubuntu.

--
Marc Glisse

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2011-12-19 18:45   ` Abdul Wahid Memon
From: Abdul Wahid Memon @ 2011-12-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gideon425.gb5

Hello everyone

I also got the same error and according to your solution I set
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but then the compilation
process complains that

checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
configure: error:
*** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
*** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
*** and run configure again.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage2-gcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage2-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Regards

Abdul
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, gideon425.gb5@mailnull.com wrote:
>
>> I am having problems building gcc 4.6.2
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 11.10
>>
>> Here is the error
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>

> Here is the solution:
> export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>

>> What additional information can I supply to help understand this problem?
>

> Problem understood, gcc doesn't currently support debian and the derivative
> distributions like ubuntu.
>
> --
> Marc Glisse

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2011-12-19 21:21     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-12-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abdul Wahid Memon; +Cc: gcc-help, gideon425.gb5

Abdul Wahid Memon <engrwahidmemon@gmail.com> writes:

> I also got the same error and according to your solution I set
> LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but then the compilation
> process complains that
>
> checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
> configure: error:
> *** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
> *** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
> *** and run configure again.
> make[2]: *** [configure-stage2-gcc] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
> make[1]: *** [stage2-bubble] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

What is the exact value you are using for LIBRARY_PATH?  That is, what
do you see if you run "echo $LIBRARY_PATH"?

Ian

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, gideon425.gb5@mailnull.com wrote:
>>
>>> I am having problems building gcc 4.6.2
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu 11.10
>>>
>>> Here is the error
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>>

>> Here is the solution:
>> export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>>

>>> What additional information can I supply to help understand this problem?
>>

>> Problem understood, gcc doesn't currently support debian and the derivative
>> distributions like ubuntu.
>>
>> --
>> Marc Glisse

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2011-12-20  2:25       ` Abdul Wahid Memon
From: Abdul Wahid Memon @ 2011-12-20  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help, gideon425.gb5

The exact output of echo $LIBRARY_PATH Is /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Regards

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Abdul Wahid Memon <engrwahidmemon@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I also got the same error and according to your solution I set
>> LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but then the compilation
>> process complains that
>>
>> checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
>> configure: error:
>> *** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
>> *** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
>> *** and run configure again.
>> make[2]: *** [configure-stage2-gcc] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
>> make[1]: *** [stage2-bubble] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> What is the exact value you are using for LIBRARY_PATH?  That is, what
> do you see if you run "echo $LIBRARY_PATH"?
>
> Ian

>>> Here is the solution:
>>> export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

>>> Problem understood, gcc doesn't currently support debian and the derivative
>>> distributions like ubuntu.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marc Glisse

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2011-12-20  5:07         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-12-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abdul Wahid Memon; +Cc: gcc-help, gideon425.gb5

Abdul Wahid Memon <engrwahidmemon@gmail.com> writes:

> The exact output of echo $LIBRARY_PATH Is /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

Looking at the configure script, I don't see any way you could get that
error without having a ':' or ';' in the value of LIBRARY_PATH.

Ian

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> Abdul Wahid Memon <engrwahidmemon@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I also got the same error and according to your solution I set
>>> LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu but then the compilation
>>> process complains that
>>>
>>> checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
>>> configure: error:
>>> *** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
>>> *** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
>>> *** and run configure again.
>>> make[2]: *** [configure-stage2-gcc] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
>>> make[1]: *** [stage2-bubble] Error 2
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/abdul/cc02/gcc-4.6.2/src-infra/obj-gcc'
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> What is the exact value you are using for LIBRARY_PATH?  That is, what
>> do you see if you run "echo $LIBRARY_PATH"?
>>
>> Ian

* RE: Problem building gcc
@ 2010-05-07 23:04   ` Pavel Pavlov
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2010-05-07 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Pavlov; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2010-05-06  6:40   ` Pavel Pavlov
From: Pavel Pavlov @ 2010-05-06  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

> Pavel Pavlov <pavel@summit-tech.ca> writes:
>
> > In that particular case I have this config.status :
> > http://pastebin.com/PSsaya6F Yet, the final config.h is absolutely identical to
> config.in: http://pastebin.com/ecL4qkqT with the only change added is the
> single line at the top:
> > /* config.h.  Generated from config.in by configure.  */
>
> There is some contradiction there.  The config.status file says HAVE_LIMITS_H
> should be defined.  The config.h file says that it is not defined.
>
> Precisely which config.status and config.h file did you paste?  There are several
> different files with those names in the build tree.  In particular, did you paste
> files from the same directory?
>
> The most useful file to look at in these cases is the config.log file.
> Look at the one in the directory whose config.h says that HAVE_LIMITS_H is
> undefined.  Look for the test for whether limits.h is present.  Look for
> compilation errors.

[Pavel Pavlov]
These are the file that are used. That's clearly a contradiction, definitely some tools are buggy that transform config.in to config.h. I opened config.in converted it to UNIX style line endings and re-run configure and now config.h matches whatever is in config.status. I have no idea how someone managed to break autotools so badly that it can't split CRLF delimited text by LF only. Even if it treated CR as some character then still it should have produced correct results.
I forced svn line endings to LF now, I never had problems with line endings in Windows/VS tools, but that's not the first time I get that problem in *nix related builds, so I set svn to always use LF to make Cygwin et al happy.

* Re: Problem building gcc
@ 2010-05-06  6:16 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-05-06  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Pavlov; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2010-05-06  6:02 ` Pavel Pavlov
From: Pavel Pavlov @ 2010-05-06  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> asking for your help to resolve that issue. It seems that some of that atotools
> fail somehow to properly modify/parse some of the input files (CRLF issue
> maybe?).

[Pavel Pavlov]
That was a correct guess. Some of the tools in the build process will fail or produce wrong results if there are some files with native EOLs

If It was a compilation issue I'd resolve it in no time, but since it's a
> configure failure I even have no idea what's called in what order so that I could
> see what script/program fails.

* Problem building gcc
@ 2010-05-06  5:40 Pavel Pavlov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pavel Pavlov @ 2010-05-06  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm having troubles with gcc build (it's really irrelevant what version I'm building, version itself is ok)
I tried to google, and I see similar problem reported all over the web, but nobody ever finally got it resolved.

My problem is identical to this one: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2008-03/msg00044.html
It fails on configure step of binutils in libiberty. I have no idea what's the problem: everything is good, I have all the headers installed and I use gcc-4.4.0 as toolset to build crosscompiler.

In that particular case I have this config.status : http://pastebin.com/PSsaya6F
Yet, the final config.h is absolutely identical to config.in: http://pastebin.com/ecL4qkqT with the only change added is the single line at the top:
/* config.h.  Generated from config.in by configure.  */

Details of my environment: win7+msys and I'm trying to build cegcc crosscompiler. The src that I'm using is ok, I built it on Cygwin without that error, yet on msys/mingw it fails at the beginning.

I'm absolute ZERO or NULL in that black magic gibberish autoxxx scripts, so I'm asking for your help to resolve that issue. It seems that some of that atotools fail somehow to properly modify/parse some of the input files (CRLF issue maybe?). If It was a compilation issue I'd resolve it in no time, but since it's a configure failure I even have no idea what's called in what order so that I could see what script/program fails.

Than you

PS: That same problem was once raised on cegcc list but with the same outcome (unresolved): http://www.mail-archive.com/cegcc-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02642.html

* Re: problem building gcc
@ 2008-08-28 13:42 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-08-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: collinr; +Cc: gcc-help

collinr@ensisun.imag.fr wrote:

> I made "./configure" in GCC subdirectory (OK) then

You must run the configure script at the toplevel, not in the gcc
subdirectory.  Also, building in the source directory is not
recommended, please see the install directions.

Brian

* problem building gcc
@ 2008-08-28 13:28 collinr
From: collinr @ 2008-08-28 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Good morning,
I had a problem while trying to build GCC (version 4.3.1) with Cygwin.
I made "./configure" in GCC subdirectory (OK) then
I made "make all"    in GCC subdirectory (KO).
It is said the file build/genmodes.exe is missing. I saw on the
Internet I am not the first one to have this problem, but I did not
find the solution, could you tell me what to do?

I have an another problem in gcc-4.3.1-directory :
"./configure" works, but command "make" encounter errors. The trace of
command "make" shows a lot of "undefined reference to" (about 100).

Do I need to make something in gcc-4.3.1 directory to build gcc, or I
can do everything in gcc subdirectory?

Regards,
Rémi Collin

* Re: Problem building GCC
@ 2000-11-03 18:51 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-11-03 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Dumaresq; +Cc: gcc-help

On Nov  2, 2000, Andrew Dumaresq <Andrew.Dumaresq@stmarys.ca> wrote:

> I am using Tru64 Unix and using the default
> make and utils for that OS.

You failed to mention it was Tru64 5.0, which is not supported by GCC
2.95.2.  I heard there are patches floating around that fix this minor
problem, but I don't know whether there are any more significant
changes needed.

If someone collects the patches and send them to gcc-patches, I'd be
glad to add them to the system-specific installation notes.

* Problem building GCC
@ 2000-11-02 10:59 Andrew Dumaresq
From: Andrew Dumaresq @ 2000-11-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I have a DEC 3000 Model 400, that I wanted to put linux on but I can't,
aprently the bus is messy. :) Anyway I was trying to compile GCC on this
machine and I run into the following error:

I have un tarred the source to /usr/src/gcc-2.95.2 and made a dir
/usr/src/obj I goto /usr/src/obj and type
/usr/scr/gcc-2.95.2/configure.  The configure runs fine, but when I type
make bootstrap I get the above error.  I'm sure this is something simple
but I can't figure it out. I am using Tru64 Unix and using the default
make and utils for that OS.

cc  -DIN_GCC -DHAIFA    -g   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o cc1 toplev.o version.o
tree.o print-tree.o stor-layout.o fold-const.o  function.o stmt.o
except.o expr.o calls.o expmed.o explow.o optabs.o  intl.o varasm.o
rtl.o print-rtl.o rtlanal.o emit-rtl.o genrtl.o real.o  dbxout.o
sdbout.o dwarfout.o dwarf2out.o xcoffout.o bitmap.o alias.o gcse.o
integrate.o jump.o cse.o loop.o unroll.o flow.o stupid.o combine.o
varray.o  regclass.o regmove.o local-alloc.o global.o reload.o reload1.o
caller-save.o  insn-peep.o reorg.o haifa-sched.o final.o recog.o
reg-stack.o  insn-opinit.o insn-recog.o insn-extract.o insn-output.o
insn-emit.o lcm.o  profile.o insn-attrtab.o alpha.o getpwd.o  convert.o
mbchar.o dyn-string.o splay-tree.o graph.o sbitmap.o resource.o hash.o
c-parse.o c-lang.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o c-decl.o c-typeck.o c-convert.o
c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-iterate.o  obstack.o       -lmld
../libiberty/libiberty.a
ld:
Unresolved:
ASM_FILE_START