* C Preprocessor for 64-bit
@ 2007-11-28 13:47 Sampath Koppole
From: Sampath Koppole @ 2007-11-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
I downloaded and installed gcc4.2.2 on a 64-bit Intel
Xeon machine.

I don't see cpp (the C-Preprocessor) for the X86_64.
Is there some flag I should put in for the 64-bit or
does the 32-bit cpp work with 64-bit ? Or should I do
something else ?

Thanks a lot,
With best regards,
Sampath.

--
Check my web home:
http://www.sampath.koppole.com

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

* Re: C Preprocessor for 64-bit
@ 2007-11-28 18:43 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-11-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sampath Koppole; +Cc: gcc-help

Sampath Koppole <sampathkoppole@yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't see cpp (the C-Preprocessor) for the X86_64.
> Is there some flag I should put in for the 64-bit or
> does the 32-bit cpp work with 64-bit ? Or should I do
> something else ?

cpp is not normally shipped as a separate program in current gcc.  I
know that some distros have a cpp program, but I don't think it's part
of gcc.

To run the preprocessor, use gcc -E.

Ian

* GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 14:10   ` Sampath Koppole
From: Sampath Koppole @ 2007-12-07 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear all,
When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
build gfortran.

when I run:
../gcc-4.2.2/configure --prefix=/usr/prog/gcc
--enable-languages=all

I get the follwing config.log file:

checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached)
/usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... (cached) yes
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for gnatbind... (cached) gnatbind
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada...
(cached) yes
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects...
(cached) cmp --ignore-initial=16 $$f1 $$f2
checking for correct version of gmp.h... yes
checking for correct version of mpfr.h... yes
checking for any version of mpfr.h... no
The following languages will be built: c,c++,java,objc
*** This configuration is not supported in the
following subdirectories:
     target-libada gnattools target-libgfortran
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
checking for bison... (cached) bison -y
checking for bison... (cached) bison
checking for gm4... (cached) m4
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for makeinfo... (cached) makeinfo

checking where to find the target gfortran... host
tool
checking where to find the target ld... host tool
checking where to find the target lipo... host tool
checking where to find the target nm... host tool
checking where to find the target objdump... host tool
checking where to find the target ranlib... host tool
checking where to find the target strip... host tool
checking where to find the target windres... host tool
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific
portions of Makefiles... no
checking whether -fkeep-inline-functions is
supported... no
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile

When I run make and then make install, I don;t have
gfortran compiler. Can anyone help me??

Thanks for your time
Cheers,
Sampath.

Be a better friend, newshound, and

* RE: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 15:14     ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2007-12-07 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sampath Koppole'; +Cc: gcc-help

Sampath Koppole wrote:

> checking for correct version of mpfr.h... yes
> checking for any version of mpfr.h... no

This is the problem: gfortran depends on MPFR. These two lines mean that you have the MPFR headers installed but that it can't link against the MPFR library. You may not have it installed correctly or it may be in a path that the linker isn't searching.

You can find the actual link error in config.log if that helps you debug this.

Good luck!
Rup.

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 15:25     ` Martin Krischik
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Zitat von Sampath Koppole <sampathkoppole@yahoo.com>:

> Dear all,
> When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
> build gfortran.

In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
- but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
compiling Fortran is troublesome.

No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
distribution hasn't got them I pity you.

Here an except from my latest Solaris compile:

configure:23091: checking for __gmpz_init in -lgmp
configure:23121: /opt/gnat/gcc/bin/gcc -o conftest -Wall
-Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2  -I/opt/gnat/gcc/include
-L/opt/gnat/gcc/lib -L/opt/gnat/gcc/lib
-Wl,--library-path=/opt/gnat/gcc/lib
-Wl,--library-path=/usr/openwin/sfw/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link=/usr/openwin/sfw/lib
-Wl,--library-path=/usr/local/ssl/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link=/usr/local/ssl/lib -Wl,-rpath-link=/opt/gnat/gcc/lib
-Wl,--library-path=/opt/gnat/tools/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link=/opt/gnat/tools/lib conftest.c -lgmp   >&5
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/opt/gnat/gcc/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.2/../../../libgmp.so
when searching for -lgmp
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
/opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: cannot find -lgmp

And even if you manage to compile them both the trouble does not end.
No guarantee that GCC will like the freshly compiled libs. Not
dynamic, not at the right place - the list of problems is endless. I
regret the time I wasted on it.

In the past Ada was the most difficult language (self hosted - you
need a working Ada compiler to create the Ada compiler) - but now it's
Fortran with it's insistence on GMP and MPFR.

Martin

* RE: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 15:33       ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2007-12-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Martin Krischik'; +Cc: gcc-help

:
> /opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
> /opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp

The issue on Solaris is that GMP defaults to building a 64-bit library even when the rest of your toolchain is 32-bit. Force GMP to build as 32-bit and it should work; I think you can do this by passing --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.10 (i.e. not sparc64) to configure.

Rup.

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 15:59       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-12-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
> - but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
> compiling Fortran is troublesome.
>
> No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
> to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
> distribution hasn't got them I pity you.

Note that in gcc 4.3, all languages will require GMP and MPFR, not
just Fortran.

Ian

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-08  4:47       ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-12-08  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

On 12/7/07, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Zitat von Sampath Koppole <sampathkoppole@yahoo.com>:
>
> > Dear all,
> > When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
> > build gfortran.
>
> In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
> - but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
> compiling Fortran is troublesome.
>
> No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
> to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
> distribution hasn't got them I pity you.

If you put the gmp and mpfr source in subdirectories of the gcc tree,
gcc will build them automatically for you and you don't have to worry
about anything.  I do this on 5 different build platforms, and it
works superbly.

You can put this in a script:

cd gcc

wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp

wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr

The rest is seemless.  You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
--with-mpfr options.  It's wonderful.

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-08  8:03         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am Freitag 07 Dezember 2007 schrieb Rupert Wood:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
> > Here an except from my latest Solaris compile:
> >
> > /opt/gnat/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
> > /opt/gnat/gcc/lib/libgmp.so when searching for -lgmp
>
> The issue on Solaris is that GMP defaults to building a 64-bit library even
> when the rest of your toolchain is 32-bit. Force GMP to build as 32-bit and
> it should work; I think you can do this by passing
> --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.10 (i.e. not sparc64) to configure.

Thank you for the hind - maybe I give it another try. But it does prove my
point that GMP/MPFR combo is a pain in the arse - At least on a
non-mainstream (i.E. Linux) platform.

Martin
--
Martin Krischik
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* GMP and MPFR (Was: GCC does not build gfortran !!)
@ 2007-12-08  8:03         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am Freitag 07 Dezember 2007 schrieb Ian Lance Taylor:

> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
> > - but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
> > compiling Fortran is troublesome.
> >
> > No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
> > to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
> > distribution hasn't got them I pity you.
>
> Note that in gcc 4.3, all languages will require GMP and MPFR, not
> just Fortran.

That is extremely bad news for anybody trying to create GCC on a
non-mainstream (i.E. Linux) platform.

Honestly: It took our team [1] month to create a working GCC/Ada for MinGW and
it is still not repeatable (as in: change version number start script and
done).

Making GMP and MPFR a prerequisite is a mistake! The GMP team with there need
for speed made creating GMP a pain in the arse. See my other post on this
thread. I created GMP but the resulting lib is worthless. Unproven best guess
why: a 64 bit lib where a 32 bit lib is needed.

And expect an outcry son. Why? Well have a look at my build script:

	if test -e "%{Prefix}/lib/libgmp.so"  &&
	   test -e "%{Prefix}/lib/libmpfr.so" ;
	then
		Enables="--enable-gmp --enable-mpfr"
		Languages="${Languages},fortran";
	fi;

And another thing just struck me: We from the Ada community use cross
compilers for embedded targets a lot. Targets which might not even have an
operating system. How is this supposed to work in future?

Or not quite a drastic: Cross compiling on Windows for VMS. Do GMP and MPFR
cross compile for VMS. Do they compile for VMS at all. Or for Symbian to name
a new and hip OS for contrast.

You are going to loose many mon mainstream or cross compile platforms that
way - they will stay with 4.2.x which will be at least "createable" for there
needs. And all this all for some multi precision stuff which most people
won't need. I at at least know more GCC users using exotic targets then MP
math.

Martin

[1] http://gnuada.sf.net

--
Martin Krischik
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: GMP and MPFR (Was: GCC does not build gfortran !!)
@ 2007-12-08  8:11           ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-12-08  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

Martin Krischik wrote:

> And another thing just struck me: We from the Ada community use cross
> compilers for embedded targets a lot. Targets which might not even have an
> operating system. How is this supposed to work in future?
>
> Or not quite a drastic: Cross compiling on Windows for VMS. Do GMP and MPFR
> cross compile for VMS. Do they compile for VMS at all. Or for Symbian to name
> a new and hip OS for contrast.

They're host libraries, not target libraries.  They don't have to build
for the target system.  They are used by gcc itself, not by code that
gcc creates.

Brian

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-08  9:04         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am Samstag 08 Dezember 2007 schrieb NightStrike:
> On 12/7/07, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Zitat von Sampath Koppole <sampathkoppole@yahoo.com>:
> > > Dear all,
> > > When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
> > > build gfortran.
> >
> > In the past The GNU Ada Project created Fortran just for the fun of it
> > - but we have given up on it - not because we don't like Fortran or
> > compiling Fortran is troublesome.
> >
> > No it's because of GMP and MPFR. Fortran now needs those two libraries
> > to be installed. And those two are a real pain in the arse. If your
> > distribution hasn't got them I pity you.
>
> If you put the gmp and mpfr source in subdirectories of the gcc tree,
> gcc will build them automatically for you and you don't have to worry
> about anything.  I do this on 5 different build platforms, and it
> works superbly.
>
> You can put this in a script:
>
> cd gcc
>
> wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
> mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp
>
> wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
> xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr
>

> The rest is seemless.  You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
> --with-mpfr options.  It's wonderful.

Thanks for the hint - especially mentioning the need for "mv". I heard about
this option before but then this "minor" detail not mentioned.

Martin

--

@ 2007-12-08 13:05             ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-08 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am Samstag 08 Dezember 2007 schrieb Brian Dessent:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
> > And another thing just struck me: We from the Ada community use cross
> > compilers for embedded targets a lot. Targets which might not even have
> > an operating system. How is this supposed to work in future?
> >
> > Or not quite a drastic: Cross compiling on Windows for VMS. Do GMP and
> > MPFR cross compile for VMS. Do they compile for VMS at all. Or for
> > Symbian to name a new and hip OS for contrast.
>
> They're host libraries, not target libraries.  They don't have to build
> for the target system.  They are used by gcc itself, not by code that
> gcc creates.

So Cross compiling on Windows/Linux for VMS won't be the optional extra in
future but the only possibility. Or does GMP and MPFR compile on VMS?

I understand that you defend your decision but nevertheless it is a blow to
any non mainstream platform.

Martin

--

@ 2007-12-08 19:27               ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-12-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

Martin Krischik wrote:

> So Cross compiling on Windows/Linux for VMS won't be the optional extra in
> future but the only possibility. Or does GMP and MPFR compile on VMS?

In addition to the machine-specific optimized versions, the libraries
include a generic pure C implementation for portability.

Brian

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-11 16:20           ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-12-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

On 12/8/07, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > You can put this in a script:
> >
> > cd gcc
> >
> > wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
> > mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp
> >
> > wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
> > xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr
> >

> > The rest is seemless.  You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
> > --with-mpfr options.  It's wonderful.
>
> Thanks for the hint - especially mentioning the need for "mv". I heard about
> this option before but then this "minor" detail not mentioned.

No problem.  I don't have much to offer, but where I can help, I do :)

FYI, the way that I understand it from previous emails I sent to the
gcc list is that when done this way, gmp and mpfr will be compiled
with an extremely compatible set of options, so it will definitely not
be optimized for yoru specific platform.  It'll work, though, which is
the important part.

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-19 19:39         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-12-19 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am Samstag 08 Dezember 2007 schrieb NightStrike:

> If you put the gmp and mpfr source in subdirectories of the gcc tree,
> gcc will build them automatically for you and you don't have to worry
> about anything.  I do this on 5 different build platforms, and it
> works superbly.
>
> You can put this in a script:
>
> cd gcc
>
> wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
> mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp
>
> wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
> xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr
>

> The rest is seemless.  You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
> --with-mpfr options.  It's wonderful.

I finally found some to time to try it. Only - ./configure still tested the
pre installed version of gmp and failed. Since I am not root I can't remove
the pre installed version. So another dead end in the battle with gmp / mpfr.

It think that when GCC 4.3.0 goes live this group will be swamped with gmp /
mpfr related posts. Mark my word.

Martin

--

@ 2007-12-19 20:06           ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2007-12-19 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Krischik; +Cc: gcc-help

On 12/19/07, Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am Samstag 08 Dezember 2007 schrieb NightStrike:
>
> > If you put the gmp and mpfr source in subdirectories of the gcc tree,
> > gcc will build them automatically for you and you don't have to worry
> > about anything. I do this on 5 different build platforms, and it
> > works superbly.
> >
> > You can put this in a script:
> >
> > cd gcc
> >
> > wget -qO- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/gmp-4.2.2.tar.bz2 | tar xjf - &&
> > mv gmp-4.2.2 gmp
> >
> > wget -qO- http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-2.3.0.tar.bz2 | tar
> > xjf - && mv mpfr-2.3.0 mpfr
> >

> > The rest is seemless. You don't even need to use the --with-gmp and
> > --with-mpfr options. It's wonderful.
>
> I finally found some to time to try it. Only - ./configure still tested the
> pre installed version of gmp and failed. Since I am not root I can't remove
> the pre installed version. So another dead end in the battle with gmp / mpfr.
>
> It think that when GCC 4.3.0 goes live this group will be swamped with gmp /
> mpfr related posts. Mark my word.

This is the part in configure.ac that you are trying to trigger:

if test "x$with_mpfr$with_mpfr_include$with_mpfr_lib" = x && test -d
${srcdir}/mpfr; then
  gmplibs='-L$$r/$(HOST_SUBDIR)/mpfr/.libs
-L$$r/$(HOST_SUBDIR)/mpfr/_libs '"$gmplibs"
  gmpinc='-I$$r/$(HOST_SUBDIR)/mpfr -I$$s/mpfr '"$gmpinc"
  # Do not test the mpfr version.  Assume that it is sufficient, since
  # it is in the source tree, and the library has not been built yet
  # but it would be included on the link line in the version check below
  # hence making the test fail.
  have_gmp=yes
fi

And similarly with gmp.

Are you sure that you put the gmp and mpfr directories in the right
place?  ie, $(srcdir)/gmp?

* Re: GCC does not build gfortran !!
@ 2007-12-07 16:13 Timothy C Prince
From: Timothy C Prince @ 2007-12-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sampathkoppole; +Cc: gcc-help

When I try to build my gcc (version 4.2.2) it does not
build gfortran.

when I run:
.../gcc-4.2.2/configure --prefix=/usr/prog/gcc
--enable-languages=all

I get the follwing config.log file:

checking for any version of mpfr.h... no
The following languages will be built: c,c++,java,objc
*** This configuration is not supported in the
following subdirectories:
     target-libada gnattools target-libgfortran
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
You need that header.  It should be installed with the development version of mpfr libraries. It's easy enough to build and install mpfr from source, if you aren't sure of finding the right version. I too miss the point of having mpfr builds with and without mpfr.h.
Tim Prince