* Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-14  6:43 newbieneedshelp
From: newbieneedshelp @ 2011-10-14  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hello all, i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my inspiron 1520 and i have gcc 4.4.3,
the latest verison is 4.6.1.  i tried to update using synaptic manager but
it says 4.4.3 is the latest version it can go.  this means the repository
must be old. is there any way to update the gcc repository on my comp?   i
went to the GCC site and to install gcc is a very long process, do i need to
go through that process when all i need is just an update?

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-14  8:58 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-10-14  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbieneedshelp; +Cc: gcc-help

newbieneedshelp <johnchong007@gmail.com> writes:
> hello all, i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my inspiron 1520 and i have gcc 4.4.3,
> the latest verison is 4.6.1.  i tried to update using synaptic manager but
> it says 4.4.3 is the latest version it can go.  this means the repository
> must be old. is there any way to update the gcc repository on my comp?

Ubuntu probably offers other repositories than the default, containing
newer packages (in debian these are known as "testing", "unstable",
and "experimental", but I think Ubuntu uses different names).  But the
repos are associated with Ubuntu, not with the gcc project (which
generally only releases source code).

I do not know the details of how to add additional repositories in
synaptic, or where the specific Ubuntu repos are located.  You should
probably ask on an Ubuntu-related mailing-list/forum.

-Miles

--
The key to happiness
 is having dreams.      [from a fortune cookie]

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-15  6:40 ` Christer Solskogen
From: Christer Solskogen @ 2011-10-15  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:42:46 -0700, newbieneedshelp wrote:

> hello all, i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my inspiron 1520 and i have gcc
> 4.4.3, the latest verison is 4.6.1.  i tried to update using synaptic
> manager but it says 4.4.3 is the latest version it can go.  this means
> the repository must be old. is there any way to update the gcc
> repository on my comp?   i went to the GCC site and to install gcc is a
> very long process, do i need to go through that process when all i need
> is just an update?

You can upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10.

--
chs

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-15 17:19   ` newbieneedshelp
From: newbieneedshelp @ 2011-10-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Christer Solskogen-4 wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:42:46 -0700, newbieneedshelp wrote:
>
>> hello all, i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my inspiron 1520 and i have gcc
>> 4.4.3, the latest verison is 4.6.1.  i tried to update using synaptic
>> manager but it says 4.4.3 is the latest version it can go.  this means
>> the repository must be old. is there any way to update the gcc
>> repository on my comp?   i went to the GCC site and to install gcc is a
>> very long process, do i need to go through that process when all i need
>> is just an update?
>
> You can upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10.
>
> --
> chs

yea i already know that, but the whole point of me asking is because i do
not want to upgrade to ubuntu version.

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-15 19:34     ` Christer Solskogen
From: Christer Solskogen @ 2011-10-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 10/15/11 19:19 PM, newbieneedshelp wrote:

> yea i already know that, but the whole point of me asking is because i do
> not want to upgrade to ubuntu version.

Then you have to either find an obscure package pool with the gcc
version you want, and risk to fsck up your system, or install a newer
gcc by hand. The question is why you want/need a newer gcc than the
version that your linux distribution provides. If you dont want a newer
ubuntu, why you want a newer gcc?

--
chs

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-15 20:23       ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2011-10-15 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christer Solskogen; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Christer Solskogen
<christer.solskogen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/11 19:19 PM, newbieneedshelp wrote:
>
>> yea i already know that, but the whole point of me asking is because i do
>> not want to upgrade to ubuntu version.
>
> Then you have to either find an obscure package pool with the gcc version
> you want, and risk to fsck up your system, or install a newer gcc by hand.
> The question is why you want/need a newer gcc than the version that your
> linux distribution provides. If you dont want a newer ubuntu, why you want a
> newer gcc?
Perhaps Fedora 15 would be a good choice. It comes with 4.6 preinstalled.

Jeff

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-17  6:46         ` newbieneedshelp
From: newbieneedshelp @ 2011-10-17  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

lol dude if you want me to install fedora 15, then i might as well just
upgrade my ubuntu which would be less annoying than install a fresh OS.  the
whole purpose of me doing is this so that i don't have to change anything
except for upgrading gcc.  i don't want a whole system upgrade or a new OS.

Jeffrey Walton-3 wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Christer Solskogen
> <christer.solskogen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/15/11 19:19 PM, newbieneedshelp wrote:
>>
>>> yea i already know that, but the whole point of me asking is because i
>>> do
>>> not want to upgrade to ubuntu version.
>>
>> Then you have to either find an obscure package pool with the gcc version
>> you want, and risk to fsck up your system, or install a newer gcc by
>> hand.
>> The question is why you want/need a newer gcc than the version that your
>> linux distribution provides. If you dont want a newer ubuntu, why you
>> want a
>> newer gcc?
> Perhaps Fedora 15 would be a good choice. It comes with 4.6 preinstalled.
>
> Jeff

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-17  7:07           ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2011-10-17  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbieneedshelp; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:46 AM, newbieneedshelp <johnchong007@gmail.com> wrote:

> lol dude if you want me to install fedora 15, then i might as well just
> upgrade my ubuntu which would be less annoying than install a fresh OS.
Ubuntu 11 comes with GCC 4.5, not 4.6.

On the bad, Ubuntu 11 has Unity - the finest netbook/tablet window
manager money can't buy. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea
to run it on desktops and servers by default, but what do I know....

> whole purpose of me doing is this so that i don't have to change anything
> except for upgrading gcc.  i don't want a whole system upgrade or a new OS.
My bad.

Jeff

@ 2011-10-17  9:38           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-10-17  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbieneedshelp; +Cc: gcc-help

newbieneedshelp <johnchong007@gmail.com> writes:
> lol dude if you want me to install fedora 15, then i might as well just
> upgrade my ubuntu which would be less annoying than install a fresh OS.  the
> whole purpose of me doing is this so that i don't have to change anything
> except for upgrading gcc.  i don't want a whole system upgrade or a new OS.

It's almost certainly possible to do this (upgrade gcc without changing
the OS) easily with Ubuntu.  Just ask on some ubuntu forum what the repo
name to add is.

-Miles

--
Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.
[Iris Murdoch]

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-17 12:53             ` Christer Solskogen
From: Christer Solskogen @ 2011-10-17 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 03:07:15 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:46 AM, newbieneedshelp
> Ubuntu 11 comes with GCC 4.5, not 4.6.

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu/Linaro
4.6.1-9ubuntu3' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs --
enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,go --prefix=/usr --program-
suffix=-4.6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --
libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --
with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.6 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --
with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-
libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --
with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --
build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.6.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3)

--
chs

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-17 13:24             ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2011-10-17 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, newbieneedshelp

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 03:07 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:46 AM, newbieneedshelp <johnchong007@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > lol dude if you want me to install fedora 15, then i might as well just
> > upgrade my ubuntu which would be less annoying than install a fresh OS.
> Ubuntu 11 comes with GCC 4.5, not 4.6.

Ubuntu 11.04 comes with GCC 4.5
Ubuntu 11.10 comes with GCC 4.6

I'm not personally aware of any Ubuntu PPAs that provide newer GCC's for
older versions of Ubuntu, but it's worth a search.  If not, it's
possible you can get the DEB files from the newer Ubuntu and just
install them on your system; not sure.  Building GCC yourself from
source is not hard, though, especially if you have a simple situation
(building for your current system rather than cross compiling or
whatever).  If you decide to go down this path and get stuck, let me
know.  I've done it many times.

> On the bad, Ubuntu 11 has Unity - the finest netbook/tablet window
> manager money can't buy. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea
> to run it on desktops and servers by default, but what do I know....

What you don't know is anything about the person who asked the question
and what their tastes and preferences are in a desktop.  Surely you
don't believe everyone should simply agree with you?  Let's keep the
totally irrelevant personal polemics out of gcc-help.  Thanks!

* Re: Upgrade/Update GCC?
@ 2011-10-17 18:50             ` newbieneedshelp
From: newbieneedshelp @ 2011-10-17 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

actually, i posted on the ubuntu forums and no one had a real answer lol.
however, i found a package from the official ubuntu site, hopefully i will
work.  ima try it out tonight and hopefully it works.