* Recompiling GCC just won't work ....
@ 2005-07-27 10:37 Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-27 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hey all... I'm a relatively new gcc user, so bear with me a bit...

So I downloaded and compiled GCC  4.0.0 having configured it in the
following manner:

--prefix=/usr/local/gcc40 --bindir=/usr/local/gcc40bin

So anyway it worked and everything was fine... Now I need to compile
GCC again with --target set to mips... For some reason, after I
configure GCC (--prefix=/usr/local/gcc40mips
--bindir=/usr/local/gcc40mipsbin --target=mips), I get an error like 1
or 2 minutes into the compilation of GCC, and it aborts. BTW, I'm
using fedora core 3. Can anybody help me with this?

I'd appreciate it also if someone could refer me to the list of
targets that I can compile GCC for... I want to compile GCC for the
mips-r4000, and I'm not sure which switch to use to specify this....

Thanks.

* Re: Recompiling GCC just won't work ....
@ 2005-07-27 11:39 ` Andrew McCall
From: Andrew McCall @ 2005-07-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas; +Cc: gcc-help

* Compiling GCC 4.0.0 for mips r4000
@ 2005-07-29 18:45 ` Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-29 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi ...

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. I want to
compile GCC 4.0.0 for the mips-r4000, and I'm not sure which switch to use
to specify this when using --target for configuring GCC before
compiling it.... If anyone happens to know the location of some list that
I can use to get this, then I would really appreciate if you could
refer me to it.

Thanks ..

Ousama Rawas.

* RE: Compiling GCC 4.0.0 for mips r4000
@ 2005-08-01 17:06 Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2005-08-01 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas; +Cc: gcc-help

If you don't want to worry about libraries, I would configure with
--target=mips64-elf.  However, note that within the MIPS, there are
several different ABIs, so you will need to know which ABI you wish to
use (for a bareboard, it doesn't matter, but if you are going to be
using libraries or an OS, you need to use a compatible ABI).  When
compiling, I would use -march=r4000.  I don't recall if the MIPS port
currently uses --with-arch=r4000.

Acctually, I think I'll try --target=mips64-linux (I'm not sure what
specific operating system I'll be using at this point). What should I
do though if I want to compile stuff for the mips r4000 specifically,
irrespective of the OS to be used?

Thanks for your time.

       [not found]   ` <4a618d080507310600305aabd1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-07-31 15:10     ` Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arturas Moskvinas; +Cc: gcc-help

On 7/31/05, Arturas Moskvinas <arturas.moskvinas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Acctually, I think I'll try --target=mips64-linux (I'm not sure what
> > specific operating system I'll be using at this point). What should I
> > do though if I want to compile stuff for the mips r4000 specifically,
> > irrespective of the OS to be used?
>
> You want to write your own OS, or BIOS? Because different OS'es have
> different calling conventions and so on, it is impossible to have a
> one compiler for every OS for that architecture... Of course you can
> compile all possible compiler for that architecture...
>
> Arturas M.

Hey...
Thanks for the reply. What I need is to assume any OS at this point,
and to compile for the mips r4000. At a layer stage, I might
write/customize an OS. Now I just need to compile GCC to generate
assembly code for the mips r4000, assuming that I have this or that OS
(specifying an OS at this point isn't really essential for me).
Thanks for the help.

@ 2005-07-31  9:36 ` Ousama Rawas
       [not found]   ` <4a618d080507310600305aabd1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-07-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meissner, Michael; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2005-07-29 21:31 Meissner, Michael
From: Meissner, Michael @ 2005-07-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas, gcc-help

What is the target system?  Usually if you are compiling to a specific
operating system, you specify that in the --target line, ie:
--target=mips64-linux or --target=mips-rtems.  If you are compiling to a
bare board, you might try something like: --target=mips64-elf.