* Installing gcc on Linux 7.9 with no access to a repository
@ 2022-05-03 12:18 DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA)
From: DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA) @ 2022-05-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am trying to download and install gcc manually, since I do not have access to a repository.  When I try to run  ./configure from the gcc download I get a message that there is no compiler available (--well OK, this is what I am trying to fix).  I am having difficulty finding a simple compiler download that will install without the benefit of access to a repository.  I tried downloading .rpm’s to install locally but with no luck so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

V/R
Jim DeCaro
DISA
Systems Administrator
Windows and Unix/Linux Server Operations
FE222/DoDNet Service Section
Defense Enclave Services Directorate
Defense Information Systems Agency
☎ 301-225-8180
☎ 301-375-8180
James.j.decaro3.civ@mail.mil
James.j.decaro3.civ@mail.smil.mil

* Re: Installing gcc on Linux 7.9 with no access to a repository
@ 2022-05-03 12:32 ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2022-05-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA), gcc-help

On Tue, 2022-05-03 at 12:18 +0000, DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE
(USA) wrote:
> I am trying to download and install gcc manually, since I do not have
> access to a repository.  When I try to run  ./configure from the gcc
> download I get a message that there is no compiler available (--well
> OK, this is what I am trying to fix).  I am having difficulty finding
> a simple compiler download that will install without the benefit of
> access to a repository.  I tried downloading .rpm’s to install locally
> but with no luck so far.

What is "Linux 7.9"?  The latest release of Linux is 5.18.

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@mengyan1223.wang>

* RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Installing gcc on Linux 7.9 with no access to a repository
@ 2022-05-03 13:05   ` DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA)

@ 2022-05-03 15:37     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-05-03 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA); +Cc: Xi Ruoyao, gcc-help

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 14:06, DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA) wrote:

> My apologies for the mis-type.  Should be Red Hat 7.9

Then you should download the gcc RPM for RHEL 7.9, which Red Hat can
help you with if needed.

* RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Installing gcc on Linux 7.9 with no access to a repository
@ 2022-05-03 17:43       ` DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA)

@ 2022-05-03 18:49         ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-05-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA); +Cc: Xi Ruoyao, gcc-help

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 18:44, DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA) wrote:

> OK, I guess you did not read the issue.  If all I had to do was use a red hat repository I would not have posted a question on this forum.

I read it. The GCC project does not provide binary packages, see
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

If you're running RHEL, you should be able to get an RPM. I didn't say
use the Red Hat repository though. I said you should use the Red Hat
RPM, and Red Hat can help with that if for some reason you're unable
to use the repository. If for some reason you're unable to use the
support you're presumably paying for, then you could download a CentOS
RPM of GCC and install that. Either way, the GCC project does not
provide binary packages, and you need an existing compiler to build
GCC yourself. Solving that is not something the GCC project can help
with, so talk to Red Hat, or find an alternative (like CentOS). Either
way, this is the wrong mailing list for solving that problem.

* RE: [URL Verdict: Neutral]Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Installing gcc on Linux 7.9 with no access to a repository
@ 2022-05-03 19:00           ` DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA)

All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

----

Caution-https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html