From: SVisor <svisor@lycos.com>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Inherited member( void )const - const to be or not to be
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi and thanks for the reply, but I do not agree...

> Don't use _CONST ... that's a reserved symbol.

Well that was news. Anyway it was just "dummy" code.

> All symbols starting with underscore followed by a capital letter are
> reserved.  All symbols with two underscores in a row anywhere are reserved.

name__more is not reserved. __name is reserved. Usage of _Name is not
recomended, but what I know not reserved. At least thats what I have
been taught. No one has _ever_ shown proof of anything else (heck no one
has shown me proof of what Ive learned, I just have accepted it ;-). Do
you have any link to a list of which combinations are reserved and which
are not?

> I've fixed your code, works now just fine.  Compiled either way.

NO! You _broke_ it! Now you return a pointer to constant, and thats
_NOT_ what I wanted. I wanted to hint the compiler that a function does
not change members, but I can still change members (and call non
constant member-functions) using the returned pointer (and its legal
C++). The question was more about cast from "this", like this:

virtual CProvider* getProvider( void )const{ return (CProvider*)this; }

It will compile and provide sane working code, but its C (not C++)
styled. And the cast is not _safe_: The code would compile even if the
class would not inherit from CProvider.

> BTW:  using the -DCONST=const is preferred.  So much so, that you should

I do not agree as thats not portable across all compilers. While my
construct is (well 99.9% of them at least). The code was just dummy code
to show a point, and make it easy to test. You usually know if something
is const or not :-).

// Jarmo