Bill Cunningham writes: > I want to compile a new gcc and glibc. Glibc and how to switch it over to > be the main library is complicated enough to me and OT so I will not mention > that. > > As far as gcc goes I want to upgrade from the 3.x.x series to 4.6.0. How > can I create a working compile that uses the least amount of glibc as > possible. Maybe it is a cross compiler I am looking for. I want to upgrade > my whole system. The reason I am not just getting a newer version of linux > is that the newer flavors are not to my liking. Any suggestions? You should be able to compile your new version of gcc using the existing gcc that you have installed. P.S. There's nothing wrong with trying to rebuild your own system all by yourself. It's a good learning experience. But it won't be easy. That's why distributions exist.