* c++ linking probs after gcc 3.0.3 upgrade
@ 2002-02-05 15:59 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2002-02-05 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

ok, i upgraded to gcc 3.0.3, first by compiling from source, and then i got a
bunch of undefined references to functions and whatnot in iostream.h (endl,
cout, etc).  then i installed the gcc 3.0.3 slackware package (im running
slackware 7.1, but ive upgraded it a lot), and now i get all those errors,
plus undefined references to "__builtin_delete" and the like.  im assuming im
linking to the wrong librarys or something, but im not sure.  do i have to
install a new version of libc?  i remember reading the gcc 3.x cant compile
libc.  i tried doing a "make uninstall" in my source tree, but i get an error
that that isnt supported in that tree.

if you need more info, just tell me

thanks in advance
thomas
spiralman@softhome.net

* Re: c++ linking probs after gcc 3.0.3 upgrade
@ 2002-02-06 15:27 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2002-02-06 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spiralman, gcc-help

At 17.58 05/02/2002 (GMT -0600), Thomas wrote:
>ok, i upgraded to gcc 3.0.3, first by compiling from source, and then i got a
>bunch of undefined references to functions and whatnot in iostream.h (endl,
>cout, etc).  then i installed the gcc 3.0.3 slackware package (im running
>slackware 7.1, but ive upgraded it a lot), and now i get all those errors,
>plus undefined references to "__builtin_delete" and the like.  im assuming im
>linking to the wrong librarys or something, but im not sure.  do i have to
>install a new version of libc?

I don't know what's the minimum version of glibc you need to build GCC.
There's a page on the site devoted to all the successful GCC builds,
pointing to the posts of who managed to do so. So you might have a look if
there's anything related to Slackware 7.1.
Anyway, I think glibc 2.2.3 or newer will be fine.

>i remember reading the gcc 3.x cant compile
>libc.
>i tried doing a "make uninstall" in my source tree, but i get an error
>that that isnt supported in that tree.
>
>if you need more info, just tell me
>
>thanks in advance
>thomas
>spiralman@softhome.net

HTH
fwyzard

* Re: c++ linking probs after gcc 3.0.3 upgrade
@ 2002-02-08  8:31   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2002-02-08  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

ok,  i might try checking what glibc i need.  but the thing is, these
problems im having dont seem to be related to libc (in my uninformed
opinion).  i thought that libc was c only, not c++, and all the problems im
having are with c++ specific things.  even if libc does have c++ functions in
it __builtin_delete should be a function of a compiler.  isnt it whats added
to the destructor of a class when you dont explicitly delete a member fo that
class that you created with new?  so, i guess my question is, is this a libc
problem or not, and if not, what is it a problem with.  the main reason im
having problems is i dont really know where to look for something that is
misconfigured or whatever...

thanks

thomas
spiralman@softhome.net

@ 2002-02-09  1:43     ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2002-02-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

well, i installed the latest glibc package for slackware, and it worked, so i
guess that was the problem.  thanks for the help

thomas
spiralman@softhome.net