* Help Needed!!
@ 2005-05-07 15:18 Dwayne I
From: Dwayne I @ 2005-05-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, I'm doing my BSc in Computer Science and i want to experiment with
diffrent compilers. I've been exposed mainly to the windows (i'm trying to
get AWAY from windows) environment and am lost when it comes to compiling
GCC. i downloaded GCC and most of the prerequisites files, i haven't found
an ISO C90 compiler yet and wondered if there is any that u could
recomend; i have Visual Studio .Net 2003 and CodeWarrior IDE LE installed
on my system. i've read GCC instructions but i'm lost and if u r willing i
would appreciate if u could walk me throught the process of compiling GCC.

Dwayne I

* Help Needed!
@ 2005-05-02 11:22 Bencio Aristo
From: Bencio Aristo @ 2005-05-02 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

To whom it may concern,

I, together with other colleagues in a university in
the Philippines, are currently working on a study
regarding semantic checking of compilers. I would like
to ask some questions regarding the C compiler (gcc).

One semantic error we are looking at is the
inconsistent use of formats or types in printf and
scanf (the "%c", "%s", "%d", etc.)

an example of this semantic error is shown below:

void main (void){
 char word[5];
 printf("Please enter a word:");
 scanf("%s", &word);
 printf("%c\n",word);
}

Compilers should be able to determine whether the
format used in the scanf and printf for a variable are
the same. In this example, scanf used "%s" and in
printf, "%c" is used.This will cause error a runtime
error. This error also occurs in mixing up of other
types such as "%d", "%f" , and "%lf".

We are planning to do a study on this and how we can
implement it on an open source C compiler and see if
it would be feasible.

Which source file is responsible for the lexical and
syntax analyzing? (so that i may be able to add printf
and scanf as recognized symbols)

Thank you in advance.

* Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-27 21:30 AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

	I am trying to install gcc in my user directory as I do not have
admin access.

	The machine runs on IRIX 6.5 and I am using gcc-2.95.2.Hereis the
procedure  followed.

The source files are in :/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/
and I want to install it in /home/rcf/test/hgcc/

Configure:
in the directory hgcc:

> ../gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure
--with-gcc-version-trigger=/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c
--enable-checking --prefix=.

Do i need to have a copy of the assembler and linker in the build
directory?Also do i need to specify with-local-prefix???Any changes I need
to make to the environment?

Build:
> gmake languages=c

This results in an internal compiler error.

It would be great if someone could tell me if there is something wrong
with the configure step.Also there is gcc 2.7.2 installed in
/usr/local/gnu directory.I would like my version of gcc to be completely
independent of this if possible.Any tips or pointers would be of great
help!

Thanks a lot,

AJ