From: "Lionel B" <lionelbuk@yahoo.co.uk>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GNU
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:20:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Ravi Haksar wrote:
> I tried to download your GNU compiler from your site
> by going to your GNU link and then going to the
> download link. I then clicked on the EXE link and
> downloaded version 3.0.1. However when I installed it,
> all I get is a couple of web pages on assembler,
> compiler, debugger, general, linker, and utilities.I
> have Windows 95. Did I download the wrong thing?

Yup, not sure what that was you downloaded.

> Please tell me what to do to download, install and use
> your GNU C compiler.

If you want pre-compiled binaries (which you surely do), you have basically two choices (see
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html):

1) Install Cygwin, (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/), a Posix (Unix-like) emulation layer for Win32, which includes an
(optional) gcc package, or

2) Probably better for you if you do not need the full Unix-like environment, get the MinGW Win32 port of GCC from
http://www.mingw.org/

Follow instructions on the respective websites for download and install.

Good luck,

--
Lionel B