public inbox for gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
* Re: Arm AARCH64 string alignment in .rodata
       [not found] <SN6PR04MB46723B9470BF2D38119A70BFD4509@SN6PR04MB4672.namprd04.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2022-09-24 18:55 ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2022-09-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Plantz, gcc-help

On Sat, 2022-09-24 at 18:24 +0000, Bob Plantz via Gcc-help wrote:
> On 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS, gcc aligns strings in the .rodata section
> on 64-bit boundaries:
>
>        .text
>         .section        .rodata
>         .align  3
> .LC0:
>         .string "Enter a number: "
>         .align  3
> .LC1:
>         .string "%i"
>         .align  3
> .LC2:
>         .string "Result: %i\n"
>         .text
>         .align  2
>         .global main
>         .type   main, %function
> main:
>
> I understand the 32-bit boundary for the .text (32-bit instructions),
> but the element in a string is a byte. Arm documentation says that
> array addresses should be aligned at the element size. Why align the
> first character at a 64-bit boundary? Does this have to do with cache
> alignment?

In gcc/config/aarch64/aarch64.h:110:

/* Align definitions of arrays, unions and structures so that
   initializations and copies can be made more efficient.  This is not
   ABI-changing, so it only affects places where we can see the
   definition.  Increasing the alignment tends to introduce padding,
   so don't do this when optimizing for size/conserving stack space.  */

If you use -Os, ".align 2" won't show up.

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@xry111.site>

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-09-24 18:56 UTC | newest]