* HOWTO Compile with gcc
@ 2008-08-08 16:12 Phil Richcreek
From: Phil Richcreek @ 2008-08-08 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Phil Richcreek

I need to compile and execute a C program that belongs to a another party.
The author has made all of the source code available to me. My environment
is Windows/XP SP2. The material the author made available includes several
.c files, several .h files, and a makefile.  I will be using a library that
is created by one of the C programs in a perl program and also executing
another (provided) C program that will excercise the same library.

I have installed MinGW. I have little experience with C and even less with
gcc. I've looked through some of the extensive documentation for gcc but am
still uncertain how to get started. Can someone give me some guidance?

TIA,

Phil

* Re: HOWTO Compile with gcc
@ 2008-08-08 20:49 ` Andrew Bell
From: Andrew Bell @ 2008-08-08 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Richcreek; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Phil Richcreek
<philRichcreek@insight.rr.com> wrote:
> I need to compile and execute a C program that belongs to a another party.
> The author has made all of the source code available to me. My environment
> is Windows/XP SP2. The material the author made available includes several
> .c files, several .h files, and a makefile.  I will be using a library that
> is created by one of the C programs in a perl program and also executing
> another (provided) C program that will excercise the same library.
>
> I have installed MinGW. I have little experience with C and even less with
> gcc. I've looked through some of the extensive documentation for gcc but am
> still uncertain how to get started. Can someone give me some guidance?

You may just be able to go to the directory where the makefile sits
and type "make".  Beyond this, it really depends on your
configuration.  gcc isn't special with regards to compilers -- it
pretty much works the same as others you might have used.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com