From: Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to enable -m64 on x86-linux for building ATLAS
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Dennis Wassel wrote:
> Fine. I'm now going to try to build a 64-bit glibc (and worry where to
> put it later, because I'm not root), and possible the full-fledged
> binutils toolchain and so on, but now I feel this
> chicken-and-egg-problem creeping up to me - wouldn't I need 64-bit
> support in my compiler to create the corresponding glibc?
>
> D'oh!
>
> Any pointers, docs or howtos anyone? Much appreciated!

It sounds like you want to look into how to build a cross-compiler. I've
never attempted to do so, but surely there is documentation on how to
bootstrap a cross compiler targeting a clean environment.

(As far a binutils, since you want cross-binutils, you are building
32-bit binaries - i.e. your existing compiler is fine - that will
generate 64-bit binaries. I'm not sure about libc, I guess it must be
possible to build a "bare metal" cross compiler that you can use to
build a libc; maybe you have to build a bare metal cross compiler first
and then a cross compiler that uses that libc.)

Apologies for the not-very-helpful answer, but maybe this will at least
point you in the right direction to go looking for further information.

--
Matthew
I don't see what C++ has to do with keeping people from shooting