* ld does not honor /etc/ld.so.conf?
@ 2001-12-11  6:23 vda
From: vda @ 2001-12-11  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-help

While slowly rebuilding Slackware linux to my taste I decided to
keep all apps separate under [/usr]/app/bar-1.2.3 style dirs,
including their /lib subdirs if any.

So far it works just great, but I have a problem with ld:
although I added /usr/app/qt/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran
ldconfig, linking against qt libs fails.

man ld says that /etc/ld.so.conf directories will be searched for libs
specified in -l<libname> options, it is apparently not true on my system.

Running shared binaries OTOH succeds. ldd <appname>
shows that it will successfully use a lib from /usr/app/qt/lib
if it needs qt.

(qt is just an example, I have same behavior with other libs too)

Is it a ld bug, manpage bug? Or am I doing something silly?

Please CC me
--
Denis Vlasenko

* Re: ld does not honor /etc/ld.so.conf?
@ 2001-12-11  6:46 ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-12-11  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vda; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, vda wrote:
> Is it a ld bug, manpage bug? Or am I doing something silly?

My hunch is a manpage bug... GNU ld has never searched /etc/ld.so.conf to
my knowledge (that file is used by ld.so, part of glibc) on any platform.

In any case this isn't a GCC issue.  Try the binutils list.

Jeff

* Re: ld does not honor /etc/ld.so.conf?
@ 2001-12-11  6:48 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2001-12-11  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vda; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

vda <vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua> writes:

> While slowly rebuilding Slackware linux to my taste I decided to
> keep all apps separate under [/usr]/app/bar-1.2.3 style dirs,
> including their /lib subdirs if any.
>
> So far it works just great, but I have a problem with ld:
> although I added /usr/app/qt/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran
> ldconfig, linking against qt libs fails.
>
> man ld says that /etc/ld.so.conf directories will be searched for libs
> specified in -l<libname> options, it is apparently not true on my system.

Read again:

          When using ELF or SunOS, one shared library may require
          another.  This happens when an "ld -shared" link
           includes a shared library as one of the input files.
           The linker uses the following search paths to locate required shared libraries.

         8.  For a native linker on an ELF system, if the file
             /etc/ld.so.conf exists, the list of directories found
               in that file.

So its only used when libqt - which is found already - needs another
lib.

> Running shared binaries OTOH succeds. ldd <appname>
> shows that it will successfully use a lib from /usr/app/qt/lib
> if it needs qt.
>
> (qt is just an example, I have same behavior with other libs too)
>
> Is it a ld bug, manpage bug? Or am I doing something silly?

It works as documented,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger