* C thread local storage support
@ 2009-04-15 11:58 Martin Sustrik
From: Martin Sustrik @ 2009-04-15 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

GCC documentation on thread-local variables says:

"It requires significant support from the linker (ld), dynamic linker
(ld.so), and system libraries (libc.so and libpthread.so), so it is not
available everywhere."

Is there any way to find out which platforms do support TLS and which do
not?

Thanks.
Martin

* Re: C thread local storage support
@ 2009-04-15 15:30 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-04-15 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Sustrik; +Cc: gcc-help

Martin Sustrik <sustrik@fastmq.com> writes:

> GCC documentation on thread-local variables says:
>
> "It requires significant support from the linker (ld), dynamic linker
> (ld.so), and system libraries (libc.so and libpthread.so), so it is
> not available everywhere."
>
> Is there any way to find out which platforms do support TLS and which
> do not?

You can try it and see what happens.  In what context are trying to find
out whether it works?

In general it should be supported on Linux kernels with version >= 2.6.0
and using a sufficiently recent glibc--I think 2.4 should suffice.  It
should also work on sufficiently recent Solaris systems.  I don't know
about other systems.

Ian

* Re: C thread local storage support
@ 2009-04-15 15:34   ` Martin Sustrik
From: Martin Sustrik @ 2009-04-15 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Martin Sustrik <sustrik@fastmq.com> writes:
>
>> GCC documentation on thread-local variables says:
>>
>> "It requires significant support from the linker (ld), dynamic linker
>> (ld.so), and system libraries (libc.so and libpthread.so), so it is
>> not available everywhere."
>>
>> Is there any way to find out which platforms do support TLS and which
>> do not?
>
> You can try it and see what happens.  In what context are trying to find
> out whether it works?
>
> In general it should be supported on Linux kernels with version >= 2.6.0
> and using a sufficiently recent glibc--I think 2.4 should suffice.  It
> should also work on sufficiently recent Solaris systems.  I don't know
> about other systems.

The question was more about exotic systems. If there's no list of
supported systems never mind, I'll just check manually.

Martin