* ld link map file format
@ 2007-05-16 13:28 Rob Keeney
From: Rob Keeney @ 2007-05-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I have searched and searched and have not been able to find any
documentation of the map file format output by ld. I need to know if
there is anyway to determine if a symbol is a function, and if a
symbol was provided by the linker.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--

--- Rob Keeney / robkeeney@gmail.com ---

* Re: ld link map file format
@ 2007-05-16 14:48 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-05-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Keeney; +Cc: gcc-help

"Rob Keeney" <robkeeney@gmail.com> writes:

> I have searched and searched and have not been able to find any
> documentation of the map file format output by ld. I need to know if
> there is anyway to determine if a symbol is a function, and if a
> symbol was provided by the linker.

The linker is part of the GNU binutils, not gcc, and questions about
it should be directed to the binutils@sourceware.org mailing list.
See http://sourceware.org/binutils/.

The map file does not tell you whether a symbol is a function.  You
can of course use objdump or readelf on the linked executable to find
that out.

The map file will tell you whether a symbol was defined by the linker:
it will be in a section not associated with any input file, and will
have a linker script command on it.  E.g.,
                0x08049578                _end = .

Ian