* ld: error no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.
@ 2009-04-17 21:08 LinuxUser9
From: LinuxUser9 @ 2009-04-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Following is the error I am getting at the end of my build/compilation and in
general the functionality is ok but I am not sure the cause of this error.
Following is my compilation env:

GNU Binary Utilities 	 2.18.50-sg++
GNU C & C++ Compilers  4.3.2-sg++
GNU C Library 	         2.8-sg++

/mips-linux-gnu-g++ -o <App> <SeveralObject> -L<Path to Library>
-l<libraries>
mips-4.3/bin/../lib/gcc/mips-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../mips-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
error in bin/libx.o(.eh_frame); no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.

There are several objects and they are partially linked (mips-linux-gnu-ld
-r -o FinalObject <IndvidualObjects>).
This only happens if there are C++ objects. Can you please comment on why I
am getting the above indicated error? Any pointers are appreciated!

Thanks

* Re: ld: error no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.
@ 2009-04-17 21:33 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-04-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LinuxUser9; +Cc: gcc-help

LinuxUser9 <bvrit_abc@yahoo.com> writes:

> Following is the error I am getting at the end of my build/compilation and in
> general the functionality is ok but I am not sure the cause of this error.
> Following is my compilation env:
>
> GNU Binary Utilities 	 2.18.50-sg++
> GNU C & C++ Compilers  4.3.2-sg++
> GNU C Library 	         2.8-sg++
>
> /mips-linux-gnu-g++ -o <App> <SeveralObject> -L<Path to Library>
> -l<libraries>
> mips-4.3/bin/../lib/gcc/mips-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../mips-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> error in bin/libx.o(.eh_frame); no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.
>
> There are several objects and they are partially linked (mips-linux-gnu-ld
> -r -o FinalObject <IndvidualObjects>).
> This only happens if there are C++ objects. Can you please comment on why I
> am getting the above indicated error? Any pointers are appreciated!

Presumably bin/libx.o was not compiled by a current version of gcc.
This error means that the linker did not understanding something in the
exception frame information.  gcc has asked the linker to create an
exception frame header, but, because there is something wrong, the
exception frame header will not be created.

I think everything will still work more or less correctly.  The effect
is that throwing an exception will take longer at runtime.

You can dump the exception frame information using readelf
--debug=frames.

Ian

* Re: ld: error no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.
@ 2009-04-17 21:55   ` LinuxUser9
From: LinuxUser9 @ 2009-04-17 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the explanation of the error. Now just want understand the
debugging process on how I can fix this issue. Following is some more
information:

- libx.o is compiled by the current version of gcc (4.3.2)
- If the above object is removed from the build, I no longer see the
eh_frame error.
- Is there any C++ implementation problem, that would cause an issue in the
object?
- Note that all objects use the same compiler but only inclusion of certain
objects cause this error.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to better
help diagnose the cause of this error.

Thanks again

@ 2009-04-17 23:31     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-04-17 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LinuxUser9; +Cc: gcc-help

LinuxUser9 <bvrit_abc@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for the explanation of the error. Now just want understand the
> debugging process on how I can fix this issue. Following is some more
> information:
>
> - libx.o is compiled by the current version of gcc (4.3.2)
> - If the above object is removed from the build, I no longer see the
> eh_frame error.
> - Is there any C++ implementation problem, that would cause an issue in the
> object?
> - Note that all objects use the same compiler but only inclusion of certain
> objects cause this error.

If you get this error with objects compiled with the same version of the
compiler, then this sounds like a bug.  I don't know if the bug is in
gcc or in the linker.  If you have time and you can provide the object
file, please open a bug report against gcc; there are instructions in
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html .  Thanks!

Ian