* TYPE_DECL nodes and what type they represent
@ 2009-04-24 15:37 David Philippi
From: David Philippi @ 2009-04-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I'm somewhat at a loss with getting the type information out of TYPE_DECL
nodes. From the comments in the code it seems like I should be able to
identify not only the typedef name but also the original builtin / compound
type which is the base for the typedef.
I've found the DECL_ORIGINAL_TYPE macro but I've not been able to get the type
from its return value so far. Any pointers to documentation or code with nice
comments about this would be welcome. The tree documentation in the wiki is
nice but I couldn't find the required information there.

Bye,
David

* Re: TYPE_DECL nodes and what type they represent
@ 2009-04-24 19:42 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-04-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Philippi; +Cc: gcc-help

David Philippi <philippi@absint.com> writes:

> I'm somewhat at a loss with getting the type information out of TYPE_DECL
> nodes. From the comments in the code it seems like I should be able to
> identify not only the typedef name but also the original builtin / compound
> type which is the base for the typedef.
> I've found the DECL_ORIGINAL_TYPE macro but I've not been able to get the type
> from its return value so far. Any pointers to documentation or code with nice
> comments about this would be welcome. The tree documentation in the wiki is
> nice but I couldn't find the required information there.

The documentation is minimal, but see also
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Types.html

A typedef statement will normally create a TYPE_DECL node.  For a
TYPE_DECL x, DECL_NAME(x) is the name of the typedef, and TREE_TYPE(x)
is the type.  DECL_ORIGINAL_TYPE exists mainly for debugging
information.

Ian