* Search path directory limit
@ 2008-12-19 14:44 Niklaus
From: Niklaus @ 2008-12-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hi,

The below program takes a long time to compile (in minutes).  I 've
these small indiviudal .c/.cpp files which i have to compile and
execute. The problem is with rouge "/dev/random or /dev/urandom".
Solutions like limit the process execution time of gcc is not
appealing.

Can we restrict the paths from which gcc includes the header files.
Can we  tell gcc on a command line parameters/makefile to not include
anything from "/dev" ? If possible how to do it ?
Removing read access on those devices are not possible.

$ cat a.c
#include "/dev/random"
#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
        return 0;
}

regards, Nik

* Re: Search path directory limit
@ 2008-12-19 15:51 ` John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
From: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen @ 2008-12-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niklaus, GCC-help

Hi Nik,

> Can we restrict the paths from which gcc includes the header files.

No, I do not believe anyone has added that kind of functionality to the
preprocessor.

If you want, you can submit a patch to cpp with that feature.

> Can we  tell gcc on a command line parameters/makefile to not include anything
from "/dev" ?

No, I do not believe anyone has added that kind of functionality to GNU Make
or GCC.

If you want, you can submit a patch to GCC and/or GNU Make with that
feature.

> Removing read access on those devices are not possible.

Depends on the operating system.  Using ACLs I was able to prohibit myself
from accessing /dev/random.  I probably could prohibit myself by chmod'ing
the UGO bits.  Also consider chroot (or jail), quotas and ulimit.

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Search path directory limit
@ 2008-12-19 16:48 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2008-12-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niklaus; +Cc: gcc-help

Niklaus <niklaus@gmail.com> writes:

> The below program takes a long time to compile (in minutes).  I 've
> these small indiviudal .c/.cpp files which i have to compile and
> execute. The problem is with rouge "/dev/random or /dev/urandom".
> Solutions like limit the process execution time of gcc is not
> appealing.
>
> Can we restrict the paths from which gcc includes the header files.
> Can we  tell gcc on a command line parameters/makefile to not include
> anything from "/dev" ? If possible how to do it ?
> Removing read access on those devices are not possible.

I have to say that I think you're trying to fix this problem at
entirely the wrong level.

Ian