* missing file in gcc-4.3.1
@ 2008-08-14 18:05 collinr
From: collinr @ 2008-08-14 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Good morning,
I am working on gcc, and I am looking for information about "liveness
analysis". The manual gccint.pdf says on page 101 :

"Life analysis
This pass computes which pseudo-registers are live at each point in
the program, and makes the first instruction that uses a value point
at the instruction that computed the value. It then deletes
computations whose results are never used, and combines memory
references with add or subtract instructions to make autoincrement or
autodecrement addressing. The pass is located in ?flow.c?."

However, I found flow.c in gcc-3.3, but not in gcc-4.3.1
Could you explain me that?

Regards,
Rémi Collin

* Re: missing file in gcc-4.3.1
@ 2008-08-15 14:27 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2008-08-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: collinr; +Cc: gcc-help

collinr@ensisun.imag.fr writes:

> I am working on gcc, and I am looking for information about "liveness
> analysis". The manual gccint.pdf says on page 101 :
>
> "Life analysis
> This pass computes which pseudo-registers are live at each point in
> the program, and makes the first instruction that uses a value point
> at the instruction that computed the value. It then deletes
> computations whose results are never used, and combines memory
> references with add or subtract instructions to make autoincrement or
> autodecrement addressing. The pass is located in ?flow.c?."
>
> However, I found flow.c in gcc-3.3, but not in gcc-4.3.1
> Could you explain me that?

The internal documentation is out of date.  The flow code was removed,
and replaced by the dataflow infrastructure in df*.[ch].

Ian