* cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
@ 2009-03-20  6:15 john blair
From: john blair @ 2009-03-20  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am trying to build gcc-4.2.4, and gcc-4.3.2 on 64 bit machine with gcc-4.1.2 to build them. For both of them make succeeds but while doing make install I get

cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"

Any suggestions?

* Re: cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
@ 2009-03-20 14:42 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-03-20 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailtome200420032002; +Cc: gcc-help

john blair <mailtome200420032002@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to build gcc-4.2.4, and gcc-4.3.2 on 64 bit machine with gcc-4.1.2 to build them. For both of them make succeeds but while doing make install I get
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
>
> Any suggestions?

(We may have discussed this on IRC).

If running "make" at top level does not cause any recompilation, but
running "make install" at top level does, then something is wrong
somewhere.  Unfortunately I have no idea what it could be.  It implies
that some dependency expressed in the Makefile changes when you run
"make install".  I don't know how that could happen.

If I had a repeatable test case for this, I would start by running "make
-d install".  That will generate huge amounts of output, but buried in
there somewhere will be the reason that make considers the target to be
out of date.

Ian

* Re: cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
@ 2009-03-20 17:36   ` john blair
From: john blair @ 2009-03-20 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

Surprisingly the gcc/Makefile is newer then all the gcc/*.o files and so it is rebuilding them during make install.

@ 2009-03-20 17:55     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-03-20 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailtome200420032002; +Cc: gcc-help

john blair <mailtome200420032002@yahoo.com> writes:

> Surprisingly the gcc/Makefile is newer then all the gcc/*.o files and
> so it is rebuilding them during make install.

Interesting.  So why is gcc/Makefile newer than the *.o files when you
run "make install", but not when you run "make"?  The Makefile is
normally created by running the config.status script; do you see this
happening early on when you run "make install"?

Ian