* GCC is native or cross compiler ....
@ 2009-01-31  7:06 rkarthi2k5
From: rkarthi2k5 @ 2009-01-31  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear Sir/Mam,

                      I am working C and C++ under GCC Compiler .... I want
to know whether GCC is a Native or Cross Compiler and what is meant by Cross
nd Native Compiler nd also difference between both ...... Finally I request
u, how to build  a Cross Compiler nd give some tips about that .....

Thanks and Regards.
Karthik.R

* Re: GCC is native or cross compiler ....
@ 2009-01-31  7:11 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-01-31  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rkarthi2k5; +Cc: gcc-help

rkarthi2k5 <rkarthi2k5@gmail.com> writes:

>                       I am working C and C++ under GCC Compiler .... I want
> to know whether GCC is a Native or Cross Compiler and what is meant by Cross
> nd Native Compiler nd also difference between both ...... Finally I request
> u, how to build  a Cross Compiler nd give some tips about that .....

gcc can be configured as either a native or a cross compiler.

There are many places on the web which explain what a cross compiler
is.  Here is one that I wrote:
    http://airs.com/ian/configure/configure_5.html#SEC28

As far as building a cross-compiler goes, it matters a lot which
target you want to build for.  For some general information, see
    http://kegel.com/crosstool/

Ian

* GCC is native or cross compiler ....
@ 2009-01-31  7:01 rkarthi2k5