* gcc-4.0.1 giving problems
@ 2007-12-11 16:04 gforgcc
From: gforgcc @ 2007-12-11 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi friends,
i recently downloaded the gcc-4.0.1 source and configured and compiled and
installed it.. but it is not generating the ranlib and strip binary.. ???
whether ranlib is generated by gcc ?? or do i need to give some options for
generating ranlib while configuring gcc ?? or do i need to install ranlib
and strip manually ??
please help me solving this problem..
thanks... :)

* Re: gcc-4.0.1 giving problems
@ 2007-12-11 16:10 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2007-12-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gforgcc, MSX to GCC

Hi narendra,

Neither ranlib nor strip are part of GCC.

They are part of binutils.

http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

The binutils need to be built-and-installed before GCC.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

Unless you have a reason* to build GCC yourself, I strongly recommend you
install a pre-built GCC for your platform (if available).

HTH,
--Eljay

* even a minor reason, like "I just want to try it", is good enough.

* Re: gcc-4.0.1 giving problems
@ 2007-12-11 16:18 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-12-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gforgcc; +Cc: gcc-help

gforgcc <narendra.ka@lntemsys.com> writes:

> i recently downloaded the gcc-4.0.1 source and configured and compiled and
> installed it.. but it is not generating the ranlib and strip binary.. ???
> whether ranlib is generated by gcc ?? or do i need to give some options for
> generating ranlib while configuring gcc ?? or do i need to install ranlib
> and strip manually ??

ranlib and strip are not part of gcc.  They are part of the GNU
binutils.  See http://sourceware.org/binutils/ .

Ian

* Re: gcc-4.0.1 giving problems
@ 2007-12-12  4:53   ` gforgcc
From: gforgcc @ 2007-12-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

woow.. !! thanks for all replies...
i will download binutils before configuring gcc.. but i have a problem
here..
i have a scratchbox environment in my debian system.. what i need to do is
to have a host-gcc (4.0.1) as a compiler inside the scratchbox environment
... also i have a prebulit gcc 4.1.2 outside the scratchbox environment in
my debian system having binutils, now i am configuring and building and
installing gcc-4.0.1 in a seperate folder, so ranlib and strip are not
present, can i directly copy the binaries(binutils : ranlib and strip ) from
my system to this new gcc installed folder ???