* Trying to compile for mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine Failing.... Please Help...
@ 2005-08-01 11:31 Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-08-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello... I've been trying to compile gcc4.0.0 to cross compile for the
mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine. The machine that I am working on
is cygwin running on windows XP. Simply compiling gcc to produce
binaries for cygwin works fine, but when trying to compile gcc with
the afformentioned mips target machine set as target, I get the
following errors:

as: unrecognized option '-EB'
make[2]: *** [ctrbegin.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/sticks/gcc-4.0.0/gccbuild2/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/sticks/gcc-4.0.0/gccbuild2/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error2

The configuration was the following:

../gcc-4.0.0/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc400mips
--srcdir=../gcc-4.0.0 --bindir=/usr/local/gcc400mipsBin
--target=mips-r4000-linux-gnu

I also tried to compile for mips64-linux and mips-linux with the exact
same results.... Please help...

Thank you,
Ousama Rawas.

* Re: Trying to compile for mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine Failing.... Please Help...
@ 2005-08-01 11:59 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-08-01 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas; +Cc: gcc-help

Ousama Rawas <orawas@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello... I've been trying to compile gcc4.0.0 to cross compile for the
> mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine. The machine that I am working on
> is cygwin running on windows XP. Simply compiling gcc to produce
> binaries for cygwin works fine, but when trying to compile gcc with
> the afformentioned mips target machine set as target, I get the
> following errors:
>
> as: unrecognized option '-EB'

gcc is using the wrong assembler.  Did you first build and install a
mips-r4000-linux-gnu binutils?

Building a cross-compiler to Linux is a complex operation with many
steps.  See http://kegel.com/crosstool/ for some helpful scripts.

Ian

* Re: Trying to compile for mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine Failing.... Please Help...
@ 2005-08-03  9:32   ` Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-08-03  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, ian

Hey....
Thanks for the reply... So to be able to build a mips r4000 cross
compiler on cygwin, I need to first compile binutils for my target
machine... Are there any other steps I need to do... I took a look at
that cross tool thing, and I am yet to comprehend how that is supposed
to help me :S...

I'd really appreciate it if someone could list the steps I need to do
in order to be able to build a cross compiler successfully... I'm
still a novice at this, so I need all the help I can get...

Thank all...
Ousama Rawas.

@ 2005-08-03 16:32     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-08-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ousama Rawas; +Cc: gcc-help

Ousama Rawas <orawas@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the reply... So to be able to build a mips r4000 cross
> compiler on cygwin, I need to first compile binutils for my target
> machine... Are there any other steps I need to do... I took a look at
> that cross tool thing, and I am yet to comprehend how that is supposed
> to help me :S...

crosstool includes scripts you can use to cross-build a Linux system.
Those scripts should run under cygwin.

> I'd really appreciate it if someone could list the steps I need to do
> in order to be able to build a cross compiler successfully... I'm
> still a novice at this, so I need all the help I can get...

That is what Dan Kegel's pages do: list the steps.  Like I said
earlier, it's complicated.

Ian

* Re: Trying to compile for mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine Failing.... Please Help...
@ 2005-08-03 16:54       ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-08-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, orawas

Ian,

  Has there ever been a GUI tool that allowed users to set
cross-compile and compiler options?  I've seen, used, modified many
interactive scripts, but the actual build options are mostly
hard-coded typically.

corey

@ 2005-08-03 17:37         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-08-03 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey taylor; +Cc: gcc-help, orawas

corey taylor <corey.taylor@gmail.com> writes:

>   Has there ever been a GUI tool that allowed users to set
> cross-compile and compiler options?  I've seen, used, modified many
> interactive scripts, but the actual build options are mostly
> hard-coded typically.

The short answer is: I don't know of any.

I have only ever seen one such tool, which was developed by Tom Tromey
many years ago at Cygnus.  It was released as part of Cygnus Foundry,
which quickly died.  The tool only worked for the Cygnus tree (i.e.,
combined gcc/gdb/binutils/newlib tree), and did not support
cross-building a GNU/Linux system.

Ian

* Re: Trying to compile for mips-r4000-linux-gnu target machine Failing.... Please Help...
@ 2005-08-07 16:48           ` Ousama Rawas
From: Ousama Rawas @ 2005-08-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hey again,

So I've been using crosstool to try to build a cross toolchain for
mips, and I have not been successful so far. if you look at the
following table (url:
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.38/buildlogs/) you'll see that
there are no combinations of gcc, binutils, glibc, and linux that give
a successful build of gcc as a cross compiler... So, is there anything
I can do, other compilers I can use, .... I really just need to
produce assembly code for a mips running linux....

 Any suggestions are welcome...