* Compiling with OpenMP support.
@ 2009-01-28 20:43 Michael Craft
From: Michael Craft @ 2009-01-28 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm trying to compile GCC 3.4.2 with OpenMP support. How can I enable
this at compile time?

* Re: Compiling with OpenMP support.
@ 2009-01-28 20:54 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-01-28 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Craft; +Cc: gcc-help

Michael Craft <mcraft@peak15.org> writes:

> I'm trying to compile GCC 3.4.2 with OpenMP support. How can I enable
> this at compile time?

gcc 3.4.2 does not support OpenMP.  The first version of gcc which
supported OpenMP was gcc 4.2.

Ian

* Re: Compiling with OpenMP support.
@ 2009-01-28 23:01   ` Michael Craft
From: Michael Craft @ 2009-01-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, gcc-help

Woops, EXTREME TYPO! I meant 4.3.2. I am using GCC 4.3.2.

@ 2009-01-28 23:16     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-01-28 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Craft; +Cc: gcc-help

Michael Craft <mcraft@peak15.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> Michael Craft <mcraft@peak15.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to compile GCC 3.4.2 with OpenMP support. How can I enable
>>> this at compile time?
>>
>> gcc 3.4.2 does not support OpenMP.  The first version of gcc which
>> supported OpenMP was gcc 4.2.
>
> Woops, EXTREME TYPO! I meant 4.3.2. I am using GCC 4.3.2.

Ah.  In that case, use the -fopenmp option.

Ian

* Re: Compiling with OpenMP support.
@ 2009-01-29  0:57       ` Michael Craft
From: Michael Craft @ 2009-01-29  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, gcc-help

I think you mean to enable OpenMP support on a specific program, use
the -fopenmp option when you are compiling a program. I know this, but
when I do it, it gives me errors about not being able to find libgomp,
like GCC its self was not compiled with OpenMP support. Is there
something I need to do at the time I compile GCC to enable it to
compile OpenMP programs?

Or do you mean something like doing "./configure -fopenmp" or "make
-fopenmp" when I compile GCC?

@ 2009-01-29  1:05         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-01-29  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Craft; +Cc: gcc-help

Michael Craft <mcraft@peak15.org> writes:

> I think you mean to enable OpenMP support on a specific program, use
> the -fopenmp option when you are compiling a program. I know this, but
> when I do it, it gives me errors about not being able to find libgomp,
> like GCC its self was not compiled with OpenMP support. Is there
> something I need to do at the time I compile GCC to enable it to
> compile OpenMP programs?

gcc itself does not use OpenMP.  libgomp is not not used by gcc when
gcc is itself running.  libgomp is used by the program compiled with
-fopenmp.  You do need to use -fopenmp when you are linking your
program, as well as when you are compiling it.  If you are doing that,
I think you need to tell us precisely what you are doing and what
happens when you do it (i.e., cut and paste from your terminal).

Ian