* Precompiled header size limit
@ 2011-12-02 12:24 Schmidt, Steffen
From: Schmidt, Steffen @ 2011-12-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether there is/was a maximum size limit for precompiled header files?

I'm currently facing a problem using GCC 4.3.2 for mips32 target having a very large precompiled header. Due to some recent code changes the size of my precompiled header (pch) file exceeded 128MB (it's a large project). Although the generation of the pch file worked fine, using this pch file later on in the compilation process of any cpp file failed. GCC ends with an error, but did not return an error message.
With a pch file smaller than 128MB, compilation using this pch was fine.

My workarround currently is to decrease the size of the pch by including less header files.
Is this effect known, did anyone else face the same problem?

Thanks for any answers, best,
  Steffen

* Re: Precompiled header size limit
@ 2011-12-02 13:44 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-12-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schmidt, Steffen; +Cc: gcc-help

"Schmidt, Steffen" <steffen-schmidt@siemens.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me whether there is/was a maximum size limit for precompiled header files?

There is not supposed to be.

> I'm currently facing a problem using GCC 4.3.2 for mips32 target having a very large precompiled header. Due to some recent code changes the size of my precompiled header (pch) file exceeded 128MB (it's a large project). Although the generation of the pch file worked fine, using this pch file later on in the compilation process of any cpp file failed. GCC ends with an error, but did not return an error message.

gcc exits with a non-zero status but does not print any error message?
That is not supposed to happen.  Is it getting some sort of signal?
What host type are you running on?

Ian