* Should I read GCC manual ?
@ 2010-02-25  9:56 arnuld uttre
From: arnuld uttre @ 2010-02-25  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Some years ago someone told me this:    "if you are a C Programmer and
work on GNU/Linux (Lignux ?)  and you have system programming as your
hobby, intend on work on OS side then you need to master these three
things:

1) ANSI C (and/or C++)
2) your compiler (gcc)
3) I forgot

I work on GNU/Linux most of the time as hobby and I I fit the
description above and have turned the system programming hobby of mine
into a job. Hence I intend to understand GNU C compiler (gcc) and for
that can you guys tell me if these 2 books are required:

http://shop.fsf.org/product/gnu-c-library-application-fundamentals/
http://shop.fsf.org/product/gnu-c-library-system-network-applications/

or reading them will not make much difference ?

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/the-lost-love-of-mine/

* Re: Should I read GCC manual ?
@ 2010-02-27  0:52 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-02-27  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnuld uttre; +Cc: gcc-help

arnuld uttre <arnuld.mizong@gmail.com> writes:

> Some years ago someone told me this:    "if you are a C Programmer and
> work on GNU/Linux (Lignux ?)  and you have system programming as your
> hobby, intend on work on OS side then you need to master these three
> things:
>
> 1) ANSI C (and/or C++)
> 2) your compiler (gcc)
> 3) I forgot
>

> I work on GNU/Linux most of the time as hobby and I I fit the
> description above and have turned the system programming hobby of mine
> into a job. Hence I intend to understand GNU C compiler (gcc) and for
> that can you guys tell me if these 2 books are required:
>
> http://shop.fsf.org/product/gnu-c-library-application-fundamentals/
> http://shop.fsf.org/product/gnu-c-library-system-network-applications/
>

> or reading them will not make much difference ?

You should read

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.3/gcc/

The two manuals you mention are for the C library, not for gcc.
Reading them is also a good idea.  You can buy them, or read them at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/ .

Ian

* Re: Should I read GCC manual ?
@ 2010-02-27 13:01   ` arnuld uttre
From: arnuld uttre @ 2010-02-27 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Ian Lance Taylor
>  <iant@google.com> wrote:

> You should read
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.3/gcc/
>
> The two manuals you mention are for the C library, not for gcc.
> Reading them is also a good idea.  You can buy them, or read them at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/ .

Thanks.

I was actually looking for gcc manual and I see its not available in book form:

http://shop.fsf.org/category/books/

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/the-lost-love-of-mine/