* warnings i can't get rid off
@ 2001-08-03  6:58 Deno, Emerson
From: Deno, Emerson @ 2001-08-03  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

i am using gcc-2.95.2 on solaris 2.5.1. i use the -B option to specify the
directory
where to find the linker and assembler (because the native solaris ones have
problems)
everything works great, except i get two warnings i can't get rid off
when compiling an object file with g++ -c i ALWAYS get
cpp: -lang-c++: linker input file unused since linking not done
and when linking
i ALWAYS get
g++.real: file path prefix `.../bin/' never used
but if i take out out the -B option i get horrible linking errors.
does anyone know of a way to get rid of these two warnings?
			emerson

* Re: warnings i can't get rid off
@ 2001-08-03 13:51 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-08-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deno, Emerson; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

On Aug  3, 2001, "Deno, Emerson" <Emerson.Deno@blackrock.com> wrote:

> when compiling an object file with g++ -c i ALWAYS get
> cpp: -lang-c++: linker input file unused since linking not done

This means g++ is running the cpp compiler driver, instead of the
internal preprocessor.  That's the reason why the internal
preprocessor was renamed to cpp0 in GCC 3.0, and in 2.95.3 too, IIRC.

> g++.real: file path prefix `.../bin/' never used

What is g++.real?

* Re: Re: warnings i can't get rid off
@ 2001-09-20  3:48   ` David Forth
From: David Forth @ 2001-09-20  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

From an earlier posting:

>> when compiling an object file with g++ -c i ALWAYS get
>> cpp: -lang-c++: linker input file unused since linking not done
>
>This means g++ is running the cpp compiler driver, instead of the
>internal preprocessor.  That's the reason why the internal
>preprocessor was renamed to cpp0 in GCC 3.0, and in 2.95.3 too, IIRC.

I also have this problem. The object seems to be built correctly but I
would like to get rid of the error message. I don't understand from the
above what to do, cpp0.exe is in the same directory as gcc.exe. g++.exe has
also been built but I am not using it.

Thanks,
Dave

* Re: warnings i can't get rid off
@ 2001-09-28 17:08     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-09-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Forth; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sep 20, 2001, David Forth <dforth@aminocom.com> wrote:

> cpp0.exe is in the same directory as gcc.exe. g++.exe has also been
> built but I am not using it.

That's the problem.  cpp0 shouldn't be in the same directory.  For
example, on my system, I've got /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/cpp, but
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/cpp0.  /usr/bin/gcc looks for
cpp0 inside the gcc-lib sub-directory, and only if it doesn't find it
there does it search the PATH, which is how you end up with the
warning.  It indicates GCC was configured with a different --prefix
than the one it was installed on, or that you have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX not
pointing to the gcc-lib directory.