* building gcc3.0.1 with aCC
@ 2001-09-28  2:05 thomas.porschberg
From: thomas.porschberg @ 2001-09-28  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I want to build gcc3.0.1 on a HP-UX11.
There is only a aCC on this machine, so I tried to do the make with this
compiler. The configure-script run successful, but the make itself failed.

What is the best way to overcome the following error message?

hp-sport(pberg):/opt/gcc-3.0.1> make bootstrap-lean
        if [ x"" != x ]; then \
          aCC -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I./../include    argv.c -o pic/argv.o; \
        else true; fi
        aCC -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I./../include   argv.c
Error 375: "argv.c", line 91 # Declaration does not match any parameter in
    old-style function definition.
         char **argv;
                ^^^^
Error 43: "argv.c", line 89 # C++ does not allow Old-style (non-prototype)
    function definitions.
    char **
    ^^^^^^^
Error 445: "argv.c", line 89 # Cannot recover from earlier errors.
    char **
    ^^^^^^^
*** Error exit code 2

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

--
I found some dead inodes in your brain.
Please run humbrfsck manually to repair your head.

* Re: building gcc3.0.1 with aCC
@ 2001-09-28 18:09 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-09-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.porschberg; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sep 28, 2001, thomas.porschberg@osp-dd.de wrote:

> There is only a aCC on this machine

Looks like it's a C++ compiler, so you're out of luck, because GCC is
written using old-style function definitions so that it can be built
even with K&R C compilers.

Perhaps you can download a pre-compiled GCC for your platform?

* Re: building gcc3.0.1 with aCC
@ 2001-09-30 13:37   ` Jack Cummings
From: Jack Cummings @ 2001-09-30 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: thomas.porschberg, gcc-help

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 10:09:17PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > There is only a aCC on this machine

> Looks like it's a C++ compiler, so you're out of luck, because GCC is
> written using old-style function definitions so that it can be built
> even with K&R C compilers.

You could try the bundled c compiler, it may work for you.
Except if you want to make a 64 bit gcc..

> Perhaps you can download a pre-compiled GCC for your platform?

You can get a reasonably new one from http://hpux.ee.ualberta.ca , or
a 64 bit one from http://ice.mudshark.org

--Jack