* Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-27 21:30 AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

	I am trying to install gcc in my user directory as I do not have
admin access.

	The machine runs on IRIX 6.5 and I am using gcc-2.95.2.Hereis the
procedure  followed.

The source files are in :/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/
and I want to install it in /home/rcf/test/hgcc/

Configure:
in the directory hgcc:

> ../gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure
--with-gcc-version-trigger=/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c
--enable-checking --prefix=.

Do i need to have a copy of the assembler and linker in the build
directory?Also do i need to specify with-local-prefix???Any changes I need
to make to the environment?

Build:
> gmake languages=c

This results in an internal compiler error.

It would be great if someone could tell me if there is something wrong
with the configure step.Also there is gcc 2.7.2 installed in
/usr/local/gnu directory.I would like my version of gcc to be completely
independent of this if possible.Any tips or pointers would be of great
help!

Thanks a lot,

AJ

* Re: Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-27 21:40 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-07-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AJ; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jul 28, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:

>> ../gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure
> --with-gcc-version-trigger=/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c
> --enable-checking --prefix=.

Are you sure you really need --enable-checking?  It may be detecting
some obscure bug in GCC 2.95.2 that wouldn't affect you in real life,
but that prevents building.

Also, --prefix=. is wrong.  You really want a full pathname here.

> Do i need to have a copy of the assembler and linker in the build
> directory?

No, but, in case you want to use those tools from GNU binutils, you
may follow the procedure in the FAQ to make sure GCC uses them.

> Also do i need to specify with-local-prefix???

Nope.

* Re: Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-27 23:14   ` AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-27 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi,

I tried to configure and build without the --enable-checking option.And it
still gives me the same error:

In file included from ../../../../gcc-2.95.1/gcc/java/gjavah.c:29:
/usr/usc/gnu/gcc/2.8.1/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/include/math.h:681:
conflicting types for `srandom'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:234: previous declaration of `srandom'
/usr/usc/gnu/gcc/2.8.1/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/include/math.h:682:
conflicting types for `initstate'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:226: previous declaration of `initstate'
/usr/usc/gnu/gcc/2.8.1/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/include/math.h:683:
conflicting types for `setstate'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:233: previous declaration of `setstate'
gmake[2]: *** [gjavah.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/auto/rcf-27/test/gcc/gcc/gcc/java'
gmake[1]: *** [gcjh] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/auto/rcf-27/test/gcc/gcc/gcc'
gmake: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Could someone please tell me how to avoid this error.Also I am building
using the command:
gmake languages=c

Thanks,

AJ

On 28 Jul 2000, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:
>
> >> ../gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure
> > --with-gcc-version-trigger=/home/rcf/test/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c
> > --enable-checking --prefix=.
>
> Are you sure you really need --enable-checking?  It may be detecting
> some obscure bug in GCC 2.95.2 that wouldn't affect you in real life,
> but that prevents building.
>
> Also, --prefix=. is wrong.  You really want a full pathname here.
>
> > Do i need to have a copy of the assembler and linker in the build
> > directory?
>
> No, but, in case you want to use those tools from GNU binutils, you
> may follow the procedure in the FAQ to make sure GCC uses them.
>
> > Also do i need to specify with-local-prefix???
>
> Nope.
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
> Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
> CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}

* Re: Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-27 23:37     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-07-27 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AJ; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jul 28, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:

> /usr/usc/gnu/gcc/2.8.1/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/include/math.h:681:
> conflicting types for `srandom'
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:234: previous declaration of `srandom'

You said you were trying to build GCC on IRIX 6.5, but you're using
GCC 2.8.1 built on IRIX 6.2.  This isn't supposed to work.  That's why
you're getting header conflicts.  You'll need some GCC version
pre-compiled for IRIX 6.5, some other C compiler, or you'll have to
run fixincludes on the IRIX 6.5 headers and hope for the best.

* Re: Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-28  0:06       ` AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-28  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gcc-help

hi Again,

Thanks for your prompt replies Alexandre.I used gcc 2.95.2 initially n
got exactly the same error.I tried using 2.8.1 to see if it made any
difference.

Any other suggestion????

@ 2000-07-28  0:10         ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-07-28  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AJ; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jul 28, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt replies Alexandre.I used gcc 2.95.2 initially n
> got exactly the same error.

The problem is:
                                                     vvv
>> > /usr/usc/gnu/gcc/2.8.1/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/include/math.h:681:

GCC has copied and fixed some headers from IRIX 6.2 that conflict with
headers from IRIX 6.5.  That's why you must use some version of GCC
built on IRIX 6.5 in order to compile something with it, even if this
something is GCC itself.

* Re: Help Needed!(still stuck..)
@ 2000-07-28 12:36           ` AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-28 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gcc-help

hi,

	I am trying to install gcc in my auto/rcf/test/gcc which is my
local directory.Why does it pick up this stuff from usr/usc/gnu/gcc....
THere  is a symbolic link in that directory that makes 2.8.1 the default.

	Is there anyway for me to override this??

Thanks in advance,

AJ

On 28 Jul 2000, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your prompt replies Alexandre.I used gcc 2.95.2 initially n
> > got exactly the same error.
>
> The problem is:
>                                                      vvv
>
> GCC has copied and fixed some headers from IRIX 6.2 that conflict with
> headers from IRIX 6.5.  That's why you must use some version of GCC
> built on IRIX 6.5 in order to compile something with it, even if this
> something is GCC itself.
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
> Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
> CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}

                       _____________________________

* Re: Help Needed!
@ 2000-07-29 17:54           ` AJ
From: AJ @ 2000-07-29 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi,

I tried a gmake bootstrap and got stuck with this message:
Can anyone suggest any fixes??????????

case "compare" in compare | compare-lean ) stage=2 ;; * ) stage=`echo
compare |
sed -e 's,^compare\([0-9][0-9]*\).*,\1,'` ;; esac; \
if [ -f .bad_compare ]; then \
  echo "Bootstrap comparison failure!"; \
  cat .bad_compare; \
  exit 1; \
else \
  case "compare" in \
    *-lean ) rm -rf stage$stage ;; \
    *) ;; \
  esac; true; \
fi
Bootstrap comparison failure!
f/bad.o differs
f/bit.o differs
f/bld.o differs
f/com.o differs
f/data.o differs
f/equiv.o differs
f/expr.o differs
f/fini.o differs
f/global.o differs
f/implic.o differs
f/info.o differs
f/intrin.o differs
f/lab.o differs
f/lex.o differs
f/malloc.o differs
f/name.o differs
f/parse.o differs
f/proj-h.o differs
f/proj.o differs
f/src.o differs
f/st.o differs
f/sta.o differs
f/stb.o differs
f/stc.o differs
f/std.o differs
f/ste.o differs
f/storag.o differs
f/stp.o differs
f/str.o differs
f/sts.o differs
f/stt.o differs
f/stu.o differs
f/stv.o differs
f/stw.o differs
f/symbol.o differs
f/target.o differs
f/top.o differs
f/type.o differs
f/version.o differs
f/where.o differs
gmake[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/auto/rcf/test/gcc/gcc'
gmake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Guys please help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,

AJ

----------------

@ 2000-07-29 19:58             ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-07-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AJ; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jul 29, 2000, AJ <jadeja@cyberspace.org> wrote:

> I tried a gmake bootstrap and got stuck with this message:

Try again.  If you had something in your build tree before starting
bootstrap, you may get results like this.  If it doesn't fix your
problem, try to start from a clean build tree.  If it doesn't work
again, you're in trouble :-)

* Re: Help Needed!!
@ 2005-05-07 19:12 ` Arturas Moskvinas
From: Arturas Moskvinas @ 2005-05-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwayne I; +Cc: gcc-help

It is very hard to compile gcc for windows so you can use compiled
versions. Try http://www.mingw.org/ or http://www.cygwin.com/.

Arturas Moskvinas

* Re: Help Needed!!
@ 2005-05-07 16:17 ` Jeffrey Holle
From: Jeffrey Holle @ 2005-05-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

You haven't indicated on which os that you are trying to compile gcc.

Dwayne I wrote:
> Hi, I'm doing my BSc in Computer Science and i want to experiment with
> diffrent compilers. I've been exposed mainly to the windows (i'm trying
> to  get AWAY from windows) environment and am lost when it comes to
> compiling  GCC. i downloaded GCC and most of the prerequisites files, i
> haven't found  an ISO C90 compiler yet and wondered if there is any that
> u could  recomend; i have Visual Studio .Net 2003 and CodeWarrior IDE LE
> installed  on my system. i've read GCC instructions but i'm lost and if
> u r willing i  would appreciate if u could walk me throught the process
> of compiling GCC.
>
> Dwayne I

* Help Needed!!
@ 2005-05-07 15:18 Dwayne I
From: Dwayne I @ 2005-05-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2005-05-02 15:57 ` Jeffrey Holle
From: Jeffrey Holle @ 2005-05-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I believe that this is already implemented in gcc, though I've never tried it.
See:

http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/gnu-c-attributes.html

Bencio Aristo wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I, together with other colleagues in a university in
> the Philippines, are currently working on a study
> regarding semantic checking of compilers. I would like
> to ask some questions regarding the C compiler (gcc).
>

> One semantic error we are looking at is the
> inconsistent use of formats or types in printf and
> scanf (the "%c", "%s", "%d", etc.)
>
> an example of this semantic error is shown below:
>
> void main (void){
>  char word[5];
>  printf("Please enter a word:");
>  scanf("%s", &word);
>  printf("%c\n",word);
> }
>
> Compilers should be able to determine whether the
> format used in the scanf and printf for a variable are
> the same. In this example, scanf used "%s" and in
> printf, "%c" is used.This will cause error a runtime
> error. This error also occurs in mixing up of other
> types such as "%d", "%f" , and "%lf".
>
> We are planning to do a study on this and how we can
> implement it on an open source C compiler and see if
> it would be feasible.
>

> Which source file is responsible for the lexical and
> syntax analyzing? (so that i may be able to add printf
> and scanf as recognized symbols)
>
> Thank you in advance.

* Help Needed!
@ 2005-05-02 11:22 Bencio Aristo