* how to develop new target-specific library - autoconf?
@ 2001-06-22 12:04 Gary Funck
From: Gary Funck @ 2001-06-22 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Help

Hello,

I'm working with GCC 2.95.2 sources, but I'd guess that my question would
still apply to version 3.0 as well.  We're adding a language dialect to C,
for parallel processing, called UPC.  We need to build a UPC runtime
library, in much the same fashion as libobjc (for Objective C) that is
target specific.

I modelled the Makefile.in and config.in files from the libobjc
implementation. Things appear to be working now, but one thing surprised me:
I had to manually run autoconf in the libupc directory, asking it to create
a "configure" script, which in turn built the local Makefile, and took care
of some other issues, I suppose.

My question: in general, does a GCC developer need to manually invoke
autoconf, when developing a new target-specific library? Or, is there a step
missing in some other config file, or Makefile that would've built
"configure" automatically?

thanks - Gary

* Re: how to develop new target-specific library - autoconf?
@ 2001-06-23  0:24 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-06-23  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Funck; +Cc: GCC Help

On Jun 22, 2001, "Gary Funck" <gary@Intrepid.Com> wrote:

> My question: in general, does a GCC developer need to manually invoke
> autoconf, when developing a new target-specific library?

Yep, at least for the first time.  If you use automake too, it will
put rules in the Makefiles to rebuild configure from configure.in
whenever it appears to be out-of-date.  But in general it's best to
run it yourself.