* Problems compiling with gcc 2.95 on DU4.0D
@ 2000-10-24 21:12 Anthony Lee
From: Anthony Lee @ 2000-10-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

When compiling some C++ code I get the following error. How can I fix it?

as0: Warning: tlgFile.cpp, line 6: Line too long

I won't repeat the stuff after that but it all seems to be some confused
assembler code.

--
Anthony Lee
Energex

This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the addressee named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, please notify ENERGEX immediately and destroy any copies of the original
message.

Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email (including any
attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email which is sent by an employee
which is of a personal nature.

* Re: Problems compiling with gcc 2.95 on DU4.0D
@ 2000-10-24 21:42 ` Alexandre Oliva
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lee; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 25, 2000, Anthony Lee <al012@energex.com.au> wrote:

> When compiling some C++ code I get the following error. How can I fix it?

You may start at the FAQ: http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=41

* Re: Problems compiling with gcc 2.95 on DU4.0D
@ 2000-10-24 22:00   ` Anthony Lee
From: Anthony Lee @ 2000-10-24 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks Alexandre, I did try installing gas. The standard as for DU4.0D
lives in /usr/bin and so I pointed that to gas. The problem was that
when then I compile again it complain that as didn't know the -O0 switch.

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2000, Anthony Lee <al012@energex.com.au> wrote:
>
> > When compiling some C++ code I get the following error. How can I fix it?
>
> You may start at the FAQ: http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/fom.cgi?file=41
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
> Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
> CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}

Anthony Lee
Energex
150 Charlotte Street                 ..--  __o
Brisbane                        ....--   _ \<,_
Qld 4000                       ____     (_)/ (_)
Australia
voice:+61 7 3407 4541
fax:  +61 7 3407 4607
email: AL012@energex.com.au

This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the addressee named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, please notify ENERGEX immediately and destroy any copies of the original
message.

Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email (including any
attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email which is sent by an employee
which is of a personal nature.

* Getting gcc not to generate the long assembler strings
@ 2000-10-25 20:12   ` Anthony Lee
From: Anthony Lee @ 2000-10-25 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear all,

I have tried several attempts to compile some C++ code. I have both
compiled 2.95.2 using Digital Unix 4.0D native cc and also downloaded
a built version form www.thewrittenword.com. Both version seems to use
Digital Unix 4.0D native as instead of gas. Therefore I tried build
gas but when I configure gas (binutils 2.9.1) with CC=gcc (the one
built with DU 4.0D cc) it complains that gcc would fail the config
test. Is there anyway around this?

What I thought was

1. build gcc using native cc
2. build gas with the gcc from 1.
3. rebuild gcc using gas

but step 2 would not even get past the config stage

The error I get from step 2 is:

The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c' failed

Another words binutils configure thinks that the gcc from step
1 is not working correctly.

Help???
--
[...]

* Re: Getting gcc not to generate the long assembler strings
@ 2000-10-25 20:26     ` Anthony Lee
From: Anthony Lee @ 2000-10-25 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

BTW, I did use and -fsquangle. It does compile my C++ code but
I thought the faq said not to rely on it.

Anthony Lee wrote:

> [...]

Qld 4000                       ____     (_)/ (_)
Australia
voice:+61 7 3407 4541
fax:  +61 7 3407 4607
email: AL012@energex.com.au

This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the addressee named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, please notify ENERGEX immediately and destroy any copies of the original
message.

Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email (including any
attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email which is sent by an employee

* What is the variable ASM_FILE_START?
@ 2000-10-25 22:47   ` Anthony Lee
From: Anthony Lee @ 2000-10-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am attempting to build gcc2.95.2 on a Digital Unix 5.0 box.

I ran configure with no option
and then
make bootstrap

But I got an
Unresolved:
ASM_FILE_START

during the ld phase. (Using DU 5.0 ld)

What is the variable ASM_FILE_START?
What should it be set to?

Thank you
--
[...]

* Re: What is the variable ASM_FILE_START?
@ 2000-10-26  0:17     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-26  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lee; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 26, 2000, Anthony Lee <al012@energex.com.au> wrote:

> ASM_FILE_START

> during the ld phase. (Using DU 5.0 ld)

GCC 2.95.2 doesn't support DU 5.0.  You may be able to find some
patches that correct this, though.  IIRC, the problem is just that it
doesn't recognize alpha*-dec-osf5.* is something similar to osf4.*.

* Re: Getting gcc not to generate the long assembler strings
@ 2000-10-26  0:18     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-26  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lee; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 26, 2000, Anthony Lee <al012@energex.com.au> wrote:

> Therefore I tried build gas but when I configure gas (binutils
> 2.9.1) with CC=gcc (the one built with DU 4.0D cc) it complains that
> gcc would fail the config test.

Huh?  AFAIK, binutils' GAS doesn't support Digital Unix yet.