* Installed gcc 2.95.2. Configure can not determine host type.
@ 1999-11-10  2:21 Torge Hjorth
From: Torge Hjorth @ 1999-11-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I have installed gcc 2.95.2 on two different redhat linux installations on
i386. Configure can not determine host type after I installed this version.
I have to supply --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu when I run configure. This is only
a minor problem, but I would like to solve it.

This is how I compiled and installed gcc:

Untared the distribution.
Created an object directory.
Ran configure from that directory without any options. I want it installed
in the default location.
Did a "make bootstrap" to compile.
Removed the redhat gcc rpm version 2.7.2.someting.
Installed with "make install"

Gcc 2.95.2 works. I have compiled a lot of things with this version, but I
have to specify the host type when I run configure.

Regards
Torge Hjorth

* Re: Installed gcc 2.95.2. Configure can not determine host type.
@ 1999-11-10  5:25 ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-11-10  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

"Torge Hjorth" <torge.hjorth@selabels.no> writes:

> I have installed gcc 2.95.2 on two different redhat linux installations on
> i386. Configure can not determine host type after I installed this version.
> I have to supply --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu when I run configure. This is only
> a minor problem, but I would like to solve it.

To solve this problem, we need a different version of autoconf and
automake; maybe you can join the developers and give them your help.
See http://www.gnu.org/ .

> This is how I compiled and installed gcc:
>
> Untared the distribution.
> Created an object directory.
> Ran configure from that directory without any options. I want it installed
> in the default location.
> Did a "make bootstrap" to compile.
> Removed the redhat gcc rpm version 2.7.2.someting.

Hmmm...  This may cause troubles in future, because other packages may
need gcc and/or his friends (for example, "xrdb ~/.Xdefaults" needs
the C preprocessor) and they expect to find them under /usr/bin (or is
it /bin ?).  Your "default location" is /usr/local/bin .  In that
case, you may want to save the old version, install a new version in a
parallel file tree, and put /usr/local/bin _before_ /usr/bin (unless
you are short of disc space).

Another thing, if you in the future upgrade your system, rpm will
notice that gcc is needed by some other thing and not installed; and
will _silently_ reinstall a gcc in the original location.

> Installed with "make install"
>
> Gcc 2.95.2 works. I have compiled a lot of things with this version, but I
> have to specify the host type when I run configure.

Is it so annoying?  Well, to save your fingers try
"./configure i586-pc-linux-gnu" saving "--host=" :-)

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Univ. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy            loreti@pd.infn.it

* Installed gcc 2.95.2. Configure can not determine host type.
@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Torge Hjorth
From: Torge Hjorth @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Maurizio Loreti