* Error message running configure on Sun Solaris 8
@ 2004-07-01 20:05 McGregor, Van
From: McGregor, Van @ 2004-07-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Help,
Never having installed gcc on a Sun box.  How do I interpret the following message?  What needs to be done to configure.  Thanks for your help.
Van

Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
Created "Makefile" in /u01/gccobj using "mh-frag"
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** The command '/usr/ucb/cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

* Re: Error message running configure on Sun Solaris 8
@ 2004-07-02  6:09 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-07-02  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McGregor, Van; +Cc: gcc-help

"McGregor, Van" <VMcGregor@CuraGen.com> writes:

> Help,
> Never having installed gcc on a Sun box.  How do I interpret the following message?  What needs to be done to configure.  Thanks for your help.
> Van
>
> Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
> Created "Makefile" in /u01/gccobj using "mh-frag"
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> *** The command '/usr/ucb/cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Go to www.sunfreeware.com .

GCC is written in C (mostly), therefor you need a C compiler to build
    it from source. Either install the solaris language optional
    package (which I recall having high per-seat licensing costs), or
    get a pre-compiled gcc binary. I believe www.sunfreeware.com still
    distributes pre-compiled gcc binaries for solaris. The FSF and
    gcc.gnu.org do not distribute pre-compiled binaries for any
    platform, but they do have a list of links to other sites that do;
    see gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html .

* RE: Error message running configure on Sun Solaris 8
@ 2004-07-01 20:07 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-07-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VMcGregor, gcc-help

In order to install GCC from sources, you need to have a compiler
installed on your system (in order to build GCC).  You either don't have
one, or it is not in your path before /usr/ucb, so the configure script
is not finding it.

Thanks,
Lyle