* Re: Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-14 23:10 Nikolai Nezlobin
From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-14 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: foskey; +Cc: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Hi Ken,

gcc in my installation does not see iostream.h and other files.  But when
this project was compiled three years ago, g++ was used.  Extern C {} might
solve the problem, but the project was compiled in 2000 (I have the
executable file), thus I would really prefer to avoid code modifications (I
am a physicist, not a programmer).

cctype is supposed to see what it is using, isn't it?  Could the paths be
set incorrectly in my installation, based on this discussion?

http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/001097.html

http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/thread.html#1096

Thank you,

Nikolai

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-15  9:58 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-06-15  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Nezlobin; +Cc: foskey, Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

"Nikolai Nezlobin" <nezlobin@ece.umn.edu> writes:

> Hi Ken,
>
> gcc in my installation does not see iostream.h and other files.  But when
> this project was compiled three years ago, g++ was used.

I am sorry, your description has me completely confused. Note, when
    compiling, 'gcc' cannot correctly link c++ code; you must use
    'g++' - so 'gcc' and 'g++' are two different beasts, even though
    they come in the same package (which as a whole is called 'GCC').

'does not see iostream.h' could mean any number of things:

    (a) The code:
        #include <iostream.h>
        results in an error such as:
        test.cc:1: iostream.h: No such file or directory

        This usually means GCC is incorrectly or incompletely
        installed. One possibility is that only the C compiler ('gcc')
        was installed, and the C++ compiler ('g++') was not.

    (b) code such as:

        #include<iostream>

        int main()
        {
            cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
        }
        results in errors such as:
        incl.cc:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope

        This is becuase C++ 1998 requires cout and endl be called
        'std::cout' and 'std::endl', or that a proper using directives
        such as 'using namespace std;' be used.

    (c) any number of other things.

If you can, please include a short-but-complete code example, which is
    sufficient to cause the problem, and paste (do not summarize) the
    error messages you get.

> Extern C {} might
> solve the problem,

?

Why do you think extern "C" {} has anything to do with your problem?

> but the project was compiled in 2000 (I have the
> executable file), thus I would really prefer to avoid code modifications (I
> am a physicist, not a programmer).

Did your existing executable suddenly stop working? If it didn't, and
    you aren't a programmer, why are you trying to recompile it?
    (There is nothing wrong with non-programmers recompiling code, but
    when it does not compile, they usually lack the vocabulary and /
    or concepts necessary to describe the problems encountered, or to
    apply the suggestions of people (invariably programmers) trying to
    help.)

> cctype is supposed to see what it is using, isn't it?  Could the paths be
> set incorrectly in my installation, based on this discussion?
>
> http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/001097.html
>
> http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/thread.html#1096

Unfortunately, that webmail archive seems to think (wrongly) the message you
    link to starts the thread. I found more of it:
    http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/001085.html
    but I could not find the begining of the thread.

In all the messages I read, there are only error messages; there are
    no code examples, so I can't figure out what is going wrong.

What relation does your problem have to thread? Are you one of the
    participants in the thread? Are you trying to compile the same
    program?

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-15 17:59   ` Nikolai Nezlobin
From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: llewelly; +Cc: foskey, Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Please see my comments below.

| > gcc in my installation does not see iostream.h and other files.  But
when
| > this project was compiled three years ago, g++ was used.
|
| I am sorry, your description has me completely confused. Note, when
|     compiling, 'gcc' cannot correctly link c++ code; you must use
|     'g++' - so 'gcc' and 'g++' are two different beasts, even though
|     they come in the same package (which as a whole is called 'GCC').

I use g++; I've got an advice to try gcc, but it did not help.  The code is
written in C++.

| 'does not see iostream.h' could mean any number of things:
|
|     (a) The code:
|         #include <iostream.h>
|         results in an error such as:
|         test.cc:1: iostream.h: No such file or directory
|
|         This usually means GCC is incorrectly or incompletely
|         installed. One possibility is that only the C compiler ('gcc')
|         was installed, and the C++ compiler ('g++') was not.

In my case g++ works well, gcc has links problems.

|     (b) code such as:
|
|         #include<iostream>
|
|         int main()
|         {
|             cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
|         }
|         results in errors such as:
|         incl.cc:5: error: 'cout' was not declared in this scope
|
|         This is becuase C++ 1998 requires cout and endl be called
|         'std::cout' and 'std::endl', or that a proper using directives
|         such as 'using namespace std;' be used.
|
|     (c) any number of other things.

This error is not my case - I had <iostream.h>.  Let's not use gcc, as the
g++ was the compiler for this project in 2000-2001.

| If you can, please include a short-but-complete code example, which is
|     sufficient to cause the problem, and paste (do not summarize) the
|     error messages you get.

I am concentrating on this.

| > Extern C {} might
| > solve the problem,
|
| ?
|
| Why do you think extern "C" {} has anything to do with your problem?
|
| > but the project was compiled in 2000 (I have the
| > executable file), thus I would really prefer to avoid code modifications
(I
| > am a physicist, not a programmer).
|
| Did your existing executable suddenly stop working? If it didn't, and
|     you aren't a programmer, why are you trying to recompile it?
|     (There is nothing wrong with non-programmers recompiling code, but
|     when it does not compile, they usually lack the vocabulary and /
|     or concepts necessary to describe the problems encountered, or to
|     apply the suggestions of people (invariably programmers) trying to
|     help.)

My existing executable doesn't give enough digits - I will need very small
changes if I can recompile the project (I have not done any changes yet).
I understand the mathematical part of the code well, but not the part
associated with flex.

| > cctype is supposed to see what it is using, isn't it?  Could the paths
be
| > set incorrectly in my installation, based on this discussion?
| >
| > http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/001097.html

http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/thread.html#1096

| Unfortunately, that webmail archive seems to think (wrongly) the message
you
|     link to starts the thread. I found more of it:
|     http://os2ports.com/pipermail/ux2bs/Week-of-Mon-20030825/001085.html
|     but I could not find the begining of the thread.

| In all the messages I read, there are only error messages; there are
|     no code examples, so I can't figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks you, I will try to provide code examples.

| What relation does your problem have to thread? Are you one of the
|     participants in the thread? Are you trying to compile the same
|     program?

I started the thread with
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-06/msg00123.html .

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-16 16:02     ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-06-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Nezlobin; +Cc: foskey, Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

"Nikolai Nezlobin" <nezlobin@ece.umn.edu> writes:
[snip]

> | What relation does your problem have to thread? Are you one of the
> |     participants in the thread? Are you trying to compile the same
> |     program?
>
> I started the thread with
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-06/msg00123.html .

I am sorry, I was unclear. I meant, what relation does your problem
    have with the thread you linked to at

@ 2004-06-15 18:28           ` Nikolai Nezlobin
From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-15 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: llewelly; +Cc: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Please see my comments below.

| "Nikolai Nezlobin" <nezlobin@ece.umn.edu> writes:
|
| > Eljay,
| >
| > 'isalnum' is not my function, it is the part of namespace std and the
GNU
| > project, right?
|
| isalnum is not necessarily part of the GNU project. GCC expects the
|     standard C library to be provided by the target platform. cygwin,
|     mingw (both windows platforms), MacOS X, [free|net|open]bsd, aix,
|     solaris, hpux, and many others provide C libraries which have
|     nothing to do with the GNU project, and are not under the control
|     of GCC, or any GNU people.
|
| Only on linux and hurd are functions such as isalnum part of a GNU
|     project (and in those cases, they are part of the glibc project,
|     not the GCC project).

I meant that 'isalnum' and cctype are not home-made (Eljay seemed to think
this way).  They were downloaded when I installed Linux.  If I write
#include <bits/locale_facets.h> in cctype then an error occurs in some file
included from locale_facets.h, but the compiler goes through using::isalnum
in cctype.  I would not consider changing cctype as a good solution unless
the changes came from someone associated with the gnu / glibc project.

| > Compiler says that isalnum is not declared in the following line in
cctype:

| > namespace std
| > {
| >   using ::isalnum;
| > }
| >
| > I think this is very embarrassing.
|
| 'embarrassing' ? It is unfortunate that you have encountered a
|     problem, and more unfortunate still that no-one has yet solved your
|     problem, but I can't see anything 'embarrassing' about it - it
|     isn't as if somebody was caught lying about uranium sales or some
|     such.

If you wish, I will not use the word "embarrassing" anymore. I needed it to
attract attention to the error message that I received.  I do not understand
how 'isalnum' can be undeclared in cctype. I will try to reduce the code to
the minimum.

| > Doesn't cctype refer to all the
| > necessary files, including the one that defines isalnum?
|
| ?
|
| #include<cctype>
|
| int main()
|   {
|     return std::isalnum('[');
|   }
|
| compiles and runs correctly with g++ 2.95.3, 3.2.2, 3.3.3, and 3.4
|     on i686-freebsd5.2 and i386-slackware-linux .
|
| If you were using any other linux distro, I would guess you had not
|     installed the [g]libc-devel package, since most other linux
|     distros do not include headers in the ordinary glibc package. But
|     looking at a slackware 9.0 box (where I cannot reproduce the problem
|     you report) I see that the package glibc-2.3.1-i386-3 contains the
|     standard C header files.

Maybe. The error message is that 'isalnum' is not declared, not that some
file was not found though.

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-15 10:46 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-06-15 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Nezlobin; +Cc: gcc-help

"Nikolai Nezlobin" <nezlobin@ece.umn.edu> writes:
[snip]
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:68: `isalnum' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:69: `isalpha' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:70: `iscntrl' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:71: `isdigit' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:72: `isgraph' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:73: `islower' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:74: `isprint' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:75: `ispunct' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:76: `isspace' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:77: `isupper' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:78: `isxdigit' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:79: `tolower' not declared
> /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:80: `toupper' not declared
[snip]

Errors such as this usually indicate that your C headers are not
    installed, or are not being found. Could you add '-v' to your command
    line options for g++, and post the result? Alternatively, could
    you reduce the problem to a piece of example code short enough to
    be posted in its entirety?

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-15 10:30         ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-06-15 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Nezlobin; +Cc: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

       [not found]     ` <6.1.1.1.0.20040614190954.02138bc0@iplan-mn.corp.adobe.com>
@ 2004-06-15  5:52       ` Nikolai Nezlobin
From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-15  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: gcc-help

Eljay,

'isalnum' is not my function, it is the part of namespace std and the GNU
project, right?
Compiler says that isalnum is not declared in the following line in cctype:

namespace std
{
  using ::isalnum;

I think this is very embarrassing.  Doesn't cctype refer to all the
necessary files, including the one that defines isalnum?

Thanks,

Nikolai

From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-14 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: foskey, gcc-help

Eljay,

I actually tried to change the headers, but it did not help (the difference
was that compiler did not go through
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/backward/iostream.h:32, but the same error occured
again when compiler reached the cctype).

Changing extensions does not seem feasible, because I am using FLEX
(http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/) - the third party code with many .c
files.

From: Ken Foskey @ 2004-06-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc help

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 22:44, Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

> You might also want to change the ".c" extension to ".cpp".

Or simply use gcc instead of g++ to compile it.

Make sure the headers have extern "C" {} in them for the C linkage.

--
Thanks
KenF

* Re: isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-14 12:44 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-06-14 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Nezlobin, gcc-help

Hi Nikolai,

It looks like your old source uses old C++ (pre-ISO 14882 standard) header
files.  It probably also does not use compliant namespaces.

Change the header files to compliant ones (e.g., #include <iostream.h>
becomes #include <iostream>).

And add in std:: by either "std::ID"prefix in front of each standard
namespace identifier (metasyntactically given here as "ID"), or "using
std::ID" near the top of the source file, or just carte blanche by "using
namespace std;" after the #include specifier block near the top of the
source code.

You might also want to change the ".c" extension to ".cpp".

HTH,
--Eljay

* isalnum not declared
@ 2004-06-14  1:18 Nikolai Nezlobin
From: Nikolai Nezlobin @ 2004-06-14  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear All,

I am stuck with a source code for a project that was last compiled about
three years ago.  Somehow this code would not compile now, and I think that
some bug in g++ might be the cause of the problem.  I would really
appreciate if you could help.

root@nezlobin:/mnt/hdb1/Source/src# make
make st
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hdb1/Source/src'
cd /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/Parser && \
bison -d -v parser.y -o parser.tab.c
parser.y contains 26 shift/reduce conflicts and 27 reduce/reduce conflicts.
cd /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/Parser && \
g++ -g -Wall -MMD parser.tab.c -c -o parser.tab.o
In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/backward/iostream.h:31,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/agstring.h:26,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/CType.h:4,
                 from parser.y:7:
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning
This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please
consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++
standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header
for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated header
<strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/localefwd.h:48,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/ios:48,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/ostream:45,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/iostream:45,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/backward/iostream.h:32,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/agstring.h:26,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/CType.h:4,
                 from parser.y:7:
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:68: `isalnum' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:69: `isalpha' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:70: `iscntrl' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:71: `isdigit' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:72: `isgraph' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:73: `islower' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:74: `isprint' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:75: `ispunct' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:76: `isspace' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:77: `isupper' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:78: `isxdigit' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:79: `tolower' not declared
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/cctype:80: `toupper' not declared
In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/locale_facets.h:63,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/basic_ios.h:41,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/ios:51,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/ostream:45,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/iostream:45,
                 from /usr/include/c++/3.2.3/backward/iostream.h:32,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/agstring.h:26,
                 from /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/CType/CType.h:4,
                 from parser.y:7:
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:44: `_ISupper'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:45: `_ISlower'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:46: `_ISalpha'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:47: `_ISdigit'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:48:
`_ISxdigit'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:49: `_ISspace'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:50: `_ISprint'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:51: `_ISgraph'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:52: `_IScntrl'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:53: `_ISpunct'
   was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/c++/3.2.3/i486-slackware-linux/bits/ctype_base.h:54: `_ISalnum'
   was not declared in this scope
In file included from parser.y:9:
/mnt/hdb1/Source/src/VSource/Sinusoid.h:20: default argument given for
   parameter 3 of `Sinusoid::Sinusoid(double, double, double =
   0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000)'
/mnt/hdb1/Source/src/VSource/Sinusoid.h:8: after previous specification in `
   Sinusoid::Sinusoid(double, double, double =
   0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000)'
make[1]: *** [/mnt/hdb1/Source/src/Parser/parser.tab.o] Error 1
rm /mnt/hdb1/Source/src/Parser/parser.tab.h
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdb1/Source/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks,

Nikolai Nezlobin