* GCC stand-alone toolkit live CD
@ 2004-05-11 14:19 Matteo
From: Matteo @ 2004-05-11 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'd like to build a stand-alone toolkit live CD for developers with the
latest GCC tools (compilers, debuggers, libraries and so on) to can be used
from a CD, a usb key disk or a ram disk contening just an editor and the
compilers tools without intalling anything and how to update all that.
I hope to have been able to explain what I mean.
Thank you very much for the attention.

Best Regards,
Matteo

* Re: GCC stand-alone toolkit live CD
@ 2004-05-12  4:09 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-05-12  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matteo; +Cc: gcc-help

"Matteo" <falcon2600@tiscali.it> writes:

> I'd like to build a stand-alone toolkit live CD for developers with the
> latest GCC tools (compilers, debuggers, libraries and so on) to can be used
> from a CD, a usb key disk or a ram disk contening just an editor and the
> compilers tools without intalling anything and how to update all that.
> I hope to have been able to explain what I mean.

This sounds interesting, but I've no idea how to go about it.
What OS are you planning on supporting?

* Re: GCC stand-alone toolkit live CD
@ 2004-05-12  4:13 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-05-12  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matteo; +Cc: gcc-help

"Matteo" <falcon2600@tiscali.it> writes:

> I'd like to build a stand-alone toolkit live CD for developers with the
> latest GCC tools (compilers, debuggers, libraries and so on) to can be used
> from a CD, a usb key disk or a ram disk contening just an editor and the
> compilers tools without intalling anything and how to update all that.
> I hope to have been able to explain what I mean.

I suspect the main problems will be shared libraries. The simplest
    solution to this seems to be to build everything staticly linked,
    and to configure all tools to produce staticly linked executables
    by default.