public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
To: java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: libgcj/1146: ltdl modules never released
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:09:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Number:         1146
>Category:       libgcj
>Synopsis:       ltdl modules never released
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    java-hacker
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Dec 20 12:06:35 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:  Mon Jan 17 14:40:00 PST 2000
>Originator:     Tom Tromey
>Release:        current cvs
>Environment:

Currently a module loaded via libltdl will never be
unloaded.

We could support unloading as a side effect of Class GC.
One way to do this would be to keep track of the library
from which a class was loaded, and unload the library
when all classes from it have been GCd.  We could do this
by locking the class cache before a library is loaded,
and then marking all classes registered (with the cache)
as being from that library.  This in turn could be used
to implement proper reference counting via libltdl's
mechanisms.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:

>Audit-Trail:

Formerly PR libgcj/137

Responsible-Changed-From-To: apbianco->java-hacker
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Jan 17 14:35:13 2000
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I miscategorized this when I submitted it.

From: tromey@cygnus.com
To: apbianco@cygnus.com, green@cygnus.com, java-gnats@sourceware.cygnus.com,
  tromey@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/137