public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* java/2332: valid declaration rejected
@ 2001-03-20 13:46 tromey
From: tromey @ 2001-03-20 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         2332
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       valid declaration rejected
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          rejects-legal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Mar 20 13:46:02 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Tom Tromey
>Release:        unknown-1.0
>Environment:

This ugly example is derived from the Apache javax.servlet
code:
public class foo {
  Object[][] vals;

  public foo (Object[] v[])
  {
    vals = v;

I believe this is valid (if hideous) Java code.
However gcj rejects it:

creche. gcj --syntax-only foo.java
foo.java: In class `foo':
foo.java: In method `(java.lang.Object[])':
foo.java:6: Incompatible type for `='. Explicit cast needed to convert `java.lang.Object[]' to `java.lang.Object[][]'.
       vals = v;
            ^
1 error

I looked at this bug once and came to the conclusion
that gcj thought `v' was of type `Object[]'.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: java/2332: valid declaration rejected
@ 2001-03-21 11:36 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-03-21 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/2332; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: apbianco@cygnus.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/2332: valid declaration rejected
Date: 21 Mar 2001 12:42:38 -0700

 >> public foo (Object[] v[])

 Alex> There was code in place to handle this type of old fashioned
 Alex> declaration. I'll have a look.

 I just updated the PR.  I have an old approved patch which fixes this.
 I don't like the patch much, but I will probably commit it anyway.

 Tom

* Re: java/2332: valid declaration rejected
@ 2001-03-20 14:06 Alexandre Petit-Bianco
From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco @ 2001-03-20 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/2332; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco <apbianco@cygnus.com>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:59:05 -0800 (PST)

 tromey@redhat.com writes:
 >   public foo (Object[] v[])

 There was code in place to handle this type of old fashioned
 declaration. I'll have a look.

 ./A