public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: other/2857: i18n, translations does not work
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR other/2857; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Zack Weinberg" <zackw@Stanford.EDU>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org>
Cc: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>, Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>,
   Gabriel.Dos-Reis@cmla.ens-cachan.fr, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:42:08 -0700

 On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 07:26:22PM +0200, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
 > 1. POTFILE.in
 >
 >    Contains files that does not exist any more. Every
 >    time a file gets deleted or when a file that contains
 >    strings to be translated is added, one must update
 >    POTFILE.in

 I took out the missing files.  I'm thinking about a way to avoid
 having to have this file at all.  Stay tuned.

 > 2. Makefile.in.in
 >
 >    The --defines flag to xgettext must be deleted since it does
 >    not exist.

 Philipp?

 > 3. gcc.pot
 >
 >    Can be deleted from the cvs since it can be recreated with
 >    a "make update-po" in the po directory.
 >
 >    Now when I do it the size of this file is comparabel with
 >    the size of the cvs version so I guess they are almost
 >    the same. The cvs version is 9 months old so you
 >    can't really expect them to be exactly the same. Some
 >    strings surely have changed during this time :-)

 This is a question of what would be most useful to you and other
 translators.  The .po files need to remain in CVS since they are
 created by humans, but perhaps it would be okay to get rid of the .pot
 file entirely.  As you say, you can do make update-po and get the
 specific .po file you care about updated, and one can always create
 gcc.pot explicitly to begin a new translation with.

 On the other hand, it might be more useful to have a known place to
 work from, which would argue for leaving gcc.pot in CVS and updating
 it periodically.

 > 4. When one builds the files outside the source directory
 >    one expects that the source directory should not be
 >    altered. In the case of gcc.pot it's not true and this
 >    file is created in the source directory.

 General problem with lots of files, not just gcc.pot.  If we're taking
 gcc.pot out of CVS then I don't think it needs to be in snapshots
 either, so it could be moved to the build directory.

 --
 zw    The phrase causes storage to be reserved, doesn't mean that it causes
       storage to be reserved.  This is a fundamental misunderstanding of