public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: tromey@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/2812: Build failure; missing symbols (iconv) in link of  jc1
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR java/2812; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Dave Gilbert <gilbertd@treblig.org>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc@treblig.org
Date: 13 Jun 2001 15:51:18 -0600

 Dave> So all I can presume is that whatever happened during the test
 Dave> had LIBICONV_PLUG defined or picked up something else.

 The test to see if iconv() is available is a simple link test.  The
 test doesn't include any headers.  So this can't explain what we're
 seeing.

 You can see the results of compilation and link tests that configure
 runs.  The output is stored in a file called `config.log' (in the
 `gcc' build directory).

 If this approach to iconv is very common we can easily accomodate it.
 We can add an additional test to see if -liconv exists.  Or we can add
 a test to see if a compile with `#include <iconv.h>' can use
 `iconv_open' and still link.  (Or ... almost anything.)

 I'm guessing that your system has iconv() in libc, but your <iconv.h>
 is from a different package and conflicts with it.  We don't expect
 this, since this is broken.

 I have no way to test any fix I might write.  However I could write a
 simple configure.in patch and send it to you if you would test it.
 Still, I'm reluctant to do this if your machine is the only one with
 this configuration.  That would be pointless...

 Tom