public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/3479: gcc 3.0 ICE on arm multilib target
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/3479; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
To: Klaus Pedersen <klaus.k.pedersen@nokia.com>
Cc: "ext rearnsha@gcc.gnu.org" <rearnsha@gcc.gnu.org>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:49:32 +0100

 > I have also come to the conclusion that it is a problem with either
 > gcc 2.95.3 or HPUX11.
 > I have successfully build the compiler on my linux box and I didn't
 > have any problems.
 >
 > The xgcc that was build on the HP box fails when it is building the
 > the thumb libgcc2. I have boiled the problem down to the following
 > piece of code:
 > ---
 > int __muldi3()
 > {
 >   unsigned long __x3;
 >
 >   return   __x3 += 1 << 16;
 > }
 > ---
 > But if any compiler can't generate code for this, then it is of very
 > little use...
 >
 > What do you mean by gcc 2.95 isn't supported on HPUX11?
 >
 > (That might explain a problem I have with xemacs also compiled for
 > my HP box (fx is "revert to saved" crashing)).
 >
 > Anyway - I checked
 >
 >    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11
 >
 > which it claims that gcc-3.0 is supported if you use GNU binutils 2.11.
 >
 > That's fine, but configure tells me that "ld" isn't supported - so
 > how is it going to work?

 I'm not the HPUX maintainer, so I'm not sure of the details.  There's a
 reference to the 2.95.x problem here:

 	http://gcc.gnu.org/fom_serv/cache/59.html

 I believe most of the problems stem from the fact that the gcc-2.95
 release series started before HPUX-11 was available; only relatively small
 bug-fixes for supported OS variants ever get folded into 'dot' releases.

 As for your problems building gcc-3 on HPUX 11; I suggest you file a
 separate PR on that problem.

 Richard.