public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/4972: undefined reference to libiconv
@ 2001-12-08 12:46 George.R.Goffe
From: George.R.Goffe @ 2001-12-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/4972: undefined reference to libiconv
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:41:18 -0800

 Tom,

 Your solution worked!!!! You're a genius!!!!

 There's another problem which has appeared since we're past the libiconv
 problem.

 The configure process in the configure-target-libiberty part claims that
 the C compiler can not create executibles. I'm not sure which config.log
 illustrates the error so I've gathered the build log, install log (make
 install), and ALL the config.logs. I've seen this problem before but
 thought it was just something I did wrong because I was trying to hack past
 the libiconv  problem. I seem to recall seeing a -m64 option which is a
 request to generate 64bit code I think. The system is a ultra 5 with 64bit
 enabled. Should I report this as a "new" bug?

 Thanks A LOT for all your help!!!!!

 If you need me to try things in the future just let me know, I'll do the
 best I can. (This applies to all the other developers too).

 Regards,

 George...

 Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> on 12/07/2001 11:02:14 AM

 Please respond to tromey@redhat.com

 To:   George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
 cc:   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org

 Hi.  Please keep gcc-gnats on the CC line so that we can track your

 George> How does one pass parameters to the other configures?

 If you pass an option to the top-level configure it will be passed
 automatically to the other ones.

 George> Is there a document describing how this is done? Can you point
 George> me to where it is?

 I don't know if there is one or not :-(

 George> p.s., The config.log I sent you was from last weeks
 George> snapshot. Do you still need the build log as well?

 Nope.

 Could you try a build using --with-libiconv-prefix=FOO and tell me if
 that solves your problem?  If so I'm going to send a bug report to
 Bruno Haible (he wrote the autoconf code that deals with libiconv) and
 then close this PR.

 Thanks,
 Tom

* Re: java/4972: undefined reference to libiconv
@ 2001-12-11 12:16 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-12-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 11 Dec 2001 13:15:54 -0700

 George> Your solution worked!!!! You're a genius!!!!

 Thanks.  I'm going to close this PR.

 George> The configure process in the configure-target-libiberty part
 George> claims that the C compiler can not create executibles.

 You'll have to submit another PR for that.

 Tom

* Re: java/4972: undefined reference to libiconv
@ 2001-12-07 11:46 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-12-07 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 07 Dec 2001 12:48:34 -0700

 George> I've tried an experiment by invoking each configure using the
 George> --help option and redirecting to a file. I edited the file and
 George> specified parameters that I wanted for each and then copied
 George> all the parameters into one file (script), deleted the dups
 George> and tried to build gcc. I don't think it worked but can't
 George> remember. Does this sound like what you had in mind?

 The only option that matters to me is --with-libiconv-prefix.
 If you set this correctly and the build works, then I'm satisfied
 we've tracked down the bug.

 Tom

* Re: java/4972: undefined reference to libiconv
@ 2001-12-07 11:16 George.R.Goffe
From: George.R.Goffe @ 2001-12-07 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:10:51 -0800

 Tom,

 I've tried an experiment by invoking each configure using the --help option
 and redirecting to a file. I edited the file and specified parameters that
 I wanted for each and then copied all  the parameters into one file
 (script), deleted the dups and tried to build gcc. I don't think it worked
 but can't remember. Does this sound like what you had in mind? I'll try to
 do the build again and let you know...

 Regards and thanks for your time AND help,

 To:   George.R.Goffe@seagate.com

@ 2001-12-07 11:06 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-12-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 07 Dec 2001 12:02:14 -0700

@ 2001-12-02 21:46 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-12-02 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 02 Dec 2001 22:44:41 -0700

 Hi George.

 Please continue to CC gcc-gnats so that relevant information is
 recorded in the PR.

 I'll attach your config.log to the PR.

 I think the problem you are seeing arises because:

 * You have libiconv installed
 * You don't tell configure this
   (using --with-libiconv-prefix)
 * Your system has its own native iconv implementation

 Can you verify this guess?

 The underlying bug seems to be that AM_ICONV, I think, doesn't notice
 it has found the libiconv <iconv.h>, and so then doesn't try to link
 in the actual library in the case where the system has a native
 iconv().  So confusion results.

 Tom