public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Otto Moerbeek <otto@drijf.net>
To: tromey@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: java/4639: gij HelloWorld segfaults if both HelloWorld.class and HelloWord executable is present
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR java/4639; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Otto Moerbeek <otto@drijf.net>
To: tromey@redhat.com
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, mark@klomp.org
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:15:37 +0100

 On dinsdag, december 18, 2001, at 11:33 , Tom Tromey wrote:

 > Otto> I tried to reproduce the problem with my current setup (same
 > Otto> (gcc version 3.0.2 20011014 (prerelease)) version of
 > Otto> gcc/gcj/gij, but minor updates of some other packages). Now gij
 > Otto> doesn't dump core, but just hangs, with a zombie child process:
 >
 > Could you try attaching to the hung process and then see what is
 > happening?
 >
 > I'm guessing the problem must be system-specific.  libgcj just asks
 > the system (via libltdl) to load shared libraries.
 >
 > Tom

 Hi,

 I get the following resuts, which are not very useable, I think. If the
 problem is only reproducable on my machine, maybe we should leave the
 matter, so you can spend more time on things that are useful for more
 people. There is a simple workaround, so I am not really bothered by
 this.

 \Gr, Otto

 ==========================
 Script started on Wed Dec 19 21:03:50 2001
 [otto@power test]$ ps axuw | grep gij
 otto     21988  0.0  3.0  9472 7904 pts/1    S    20:59   0:00 gij
 HelloWorld
 otto     21989  0.0  0.0     0    0 pts/1    Z    20:59   0:00 [gij
 <defunct>]
 [otto@power test]$ gdb $(which gij) 21988
 GNU gdb 5.0
 are
 conditions.
 details.
 This GDB was configured as "ppc-redhat-linux"...
 /home/otto/test/21988: No such file or directory.
 Attaching to program: /usr/local/gcc-3.0.2/bin/gij, Pid 21988
 0xf93821c in ?? ()
 (gdb) where
 #0  0xf93821c in ?? ()
 (gdb) quit
 The program is running.  Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) y
 Detaching from program: /usr/local/gcc-3.0.2/bin/gij, Pid 21988
 [otto@power test]$ gdb $(which gij) 21989
 GNU gdb 5.0
 are
 conditions.
 details.
 This GDB was configured as "ppc-redhat-linux"...
 /home/otto/test/21989: No such file or directory.
 Attaching to program: /usr/local/gcc-3.0.2/bin/gij, Pid 21989
 ptrace: Operation not permitted.
 (gdb) where
 No stack.
 (gdb) [otto@power test]$
 Script done on Wed Dec 19 21:04:37 2001

 - --
 Otto Moerbeek       otto@drijf.net
 Public Key fingerprint: 13F7 EB00 14D7 7810 88DA  CDDE DBF1 B5AB 2FB7
 A5A3