public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: bootstrap/5455: collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation Fault]
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/5455; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:31:06 -0500

 ----- Forwarded message from George.R.Goffe@seagate.com -----

 Subject: Re: bootstrap/5455: collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation
  Fault]
 To: rodrigc@mediaone.net
 From: George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
 Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:28:30 -0800
  01/23/2002 10:28:34 AM

 Craig,

 Point taken. Yes I goofed. It was late and I was grogy. Sorry about that.

 Based on our previous discussions, I'm not sure that pursuing this pr is
 worth it. The problem showed up with gcc-3.0 from sunfreeware and
 binutils-2.11.2. I am running a new attempt after installing the binutils
 snapshot. Do you want further info on this build or do you just want to
 close the pr with user error?

 The build I sent you was on solaris 2.8 and I was using the newly compiled
 gcc snapshot (i.e., snapshot compiling itself).

 In the build logs that I capture are some which statements that tell where
 the gcc/ld/as binaries are found and also a --version for each of
 gcc/ld/as.

 Unless I get a successfull build I use solaris packages from sunfreeware.
 The pkgs DO NOT INSTALL on the "wrong" platform.

 Based on our previous discussion,

 George...

 Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@mediaone.net> on 01/22/2002 07:58:03 PM

 To:   George.R.Goffe@seagate.com
 cc:

 Subject:  Re: bootstrap/5455: collect2: ld terminated with signal 11
       [Segmentation Fault]

 On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:24:56PM -0800, George.R.Goffe@seagate.com wrote:

 > Craig,
 >
 > I just finished a build attempt on the current gcc snapshot with the
 latest
 > (?) binutils snapshot. THE PROBLEM CHANGED CHARACTERISTICS! I'm enclosing

 According the the build log which you submitted in PR 5455,
 you did that build on Solaris 2.7.

 Now, the build log you submitted to me, you just did that build
 on Solaris 2.8.

 Can you keep your build environment consistent when following up
 in a PR?  This is how you can be helpful.

 Where did you get the version of gcc that you are trying to
 build the gcc snapshot with?  Was that version of gcc built on
 another version of Solaris?
 --
 Craig Rodrigues
 http://www.gis.net/~craigr