public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: "Werner Tuchan" <tuwn@gmx.net>
To: rth@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: libstdc++/5198: 3.0.3 linux x m68k build fail: invalid opcodes in c++locale.cc
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 11:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/5198; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Werner Tuchan" <tuwn@gmx.net>
To: <rodrigc@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:35:05 +0100

 I think the solution for the 68000, 68010, cpu32 & 5400 CPUs useing the TAS
 instruction is really dangerous since it may easily deadlock. A low priority
 thread can enter the critical section and may be preempted by a high priorty
 thread which enters the TAS loop and stays there forever consuming all CPU
 cycles so that the low priorty thread has no chance to release the lock.

 Therefore spinlock implementations usually disable preemption before trying
 to acquire the lock. Actually busy loop spinlocks are only usefull on SMP
 machines anyway. I would recommend that we disable interrupts for the latter
 CPUs in addition to the TAS instruction.

 -Werner

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&p
 r=5198