public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: lloyd@acm.jhu.edu
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: c++/5818: cc1plus crashes if it runs out of memory
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>Number:         5818
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       cc1plus crashes if it runs out of memory
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Mar 03 09:16:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     lloyd@acm.jhu.edu
>Release:        gcc 3.0.4
Very minor. I was having problems with a bug causing the allocation of hundreds of megabytes of memory, swapping my machine to death, so I set my memory ulimts to something like 16 megabytes. Then I compiled some code. A few times, GCC died with warnings that virtual memory was exausted. But once, I got this:

g++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

So it seems that in at least one case, GCC isn't checking it's system call returns properly (GCC compiles my code without problems when the memory ulimits are set higher, so I'm quite certain this is not a code-dependant thing)
>How-To-Repeat:
Set your ulimits for memory very low. Compile something.
>Fix:
Make sure malloc doesn't return zero? :)