public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: paolo@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
Subject: Re: c++/8448: Regression from gcc 2.96 concerning nested namespaces
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

The following reply was made to PR c++/8448; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara@cs.unipr.it>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:27:47 -0600 (CST)

 > Thanks everyone: I have studied the issue and now I understand what's
 > going on and why.  I only wonder if g++ is not being a bit too pedantic
 > (without being asked to do so) on this rather controversial issue.

 This is just a matter what the standard prescribes. I guess you would be
 surprised if some code compiled with one compiler and not with another one
 because the one decided to look at more symbols from other namespace than
 another. The usual question then also is how to deal with newly arising
 ambiguities between different symbols in different namespaces.

 I guess the most proper way to get a change is to lobby the C++ standards
 committee to review the matter and come up with a solution that may then
 be implemented by all compiler vendors.

 Regards
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu